Get this!

Microsoft has filed an appeal with the US Patent and Trademark office to block Apple's trademark for "App Store" claiming it's too generic.

If that's not the most balls-out-funny claim of the century, I don't know what is.

Mr. Pot, say hello to Mr. Kettle.

Windows indeed.

Just to be straight, I think the term *is* too descriptive to warrant trademark protection, so in that sense I agree with MS. However, I do recognize that Apple, and Apple alone, popularized the term "app" to mean computer software. Absolutely no one other than some computer geeks had ever used the word "app" to mean anything software related. Maybe MS should lose the Windows trademark - it would certainly be fair.

MS may get more media play from this than their Windows Phone product, which by all accounts is currently dead in the water with no signs of ever making it to shore and relevance. That's why the frantic swings of this appeal. It's a shame, because I think WP is the most innovative mobile product since the iPhone - and really the only thing available right now that isn't still copying the iPhone and iOS on a daily basis.