I have the $30/month T-Mobile prepaid 100 minutes with 5GB data plan, and for the first time, I've hit the 5GB cap. The throttled speed just isn't usable, which I sort of expected, so I looked to see what other prepaid plans T-Mobile has. Unfortunately, it looks like the next tier up after 5GB is unlimited, which costs $80. For that price, I could buy two of the $30 plans and have $20 left over.

So... Is there anything stopping me from doing exactly that? Sure, I'd have to swap SIM cards and deal with a different phone number, but with Google Voice and such, nobody knows my actual number (I only know it so I can log into the T-Mobile website.) I barely go over the 100 minute mark, and if I do, the $0.10/minute rate is still cheaper than paying $80 for a base plan.

I'm going to start looking into ways to reduce my data usage, perhaps cutting down the quality of my Google Music streaming, etc. but I was thinking if I'm still going over the cap regularly, buying a second plan might be more cost-effective than coughing up $80 for their unlimited everything.

Is this a silly idea?