Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#220945 - 10/02/2002 07:38 How to set default volume/tone levels?
dleasman
stranger

(long time reader, first time poster)

Question: Is there a way to set default volume/tone levels?

Problem: With DisplayServer installed, the volume hack is also in there, which I do like, but the default volume is only 50%. This is a problem when hooked into the stereo, as the volume is very low. My wife compensated by turning the volume way up. Along comes my daughter, who puts Shrek DVD dts in and switches the input over. BOOM! I thought the sub was going to explode! No damage, but next time, who knows...

Solution: I either need to remove the volume hack, or figure out how to set power up defaults (currently 50% on all) to be a different values. The latter being more preferable.

Can anyone assist me with this?

More about DisplayServer:
I have the Dell model, and I have installed DisplayServer. This is a cool thing, though I am creating a new interface for it that is more refined and compact. Also thinking of an executable, for WindowsXP (sorry penguin lovers) so that you do not have to use the browser. This should be easy. The new interface I have designed will look more like a cd player program, not unlike the original MediaPlayer.

-Dana

#220946 - 10/02/2002 09:36 Re: How to set default volume/tone levels? [Re: dleasman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
When using the line level outputs into a home stereo amplifier, the volume of most devices needs to be at it "0db maximum" if the home stereo amplifier is used to control the volume.

In fact, most devices that plug into home stereos via line level don't even have a volume control, and are hard-wired to always play at maximum volume. The only reason the Rio Receiver has a volume control is because it's also got a speaker connector.

I wasn't aware that Displayserver included a volume hack of any kind. In my experience, the player shoud turn on at the same volume it was at when it was turned off. The only times it should "forget" the volume are when it's had the power removed (unplugged or power outage), or when you deliberately cold-boot it by rapidly pressing the power button several times.

I agree that the receiver should remember the sound and display settings even across a power outage. Those things should be stored in the server software on the server's hard disk so that a power loss does not mess them up. That's actually the only thing about the receiver that's giving me any trouble at all: Every time the power goes out I have to re-adjust the bass, treble, and display contrast, and I have to re-select the current playlist. Since I have it plugged directly into speakers, I don't have a problem with the volume, but I can see how that would give you fits if it were connected to a stereo.

#220947 - 10/02/2002 10:53 Re: How to set default volume/tone levels? [Re: tfabris]
dleasman
stranger

"0db maximum"
Correct, but from the receiver, 0db is max volume. Where it defaults to is 25 (on scale of 0 to 50), which is about -6db.

"I wasn't aware that Displayserver included a volume hack"
Yes, it does include the volume hack.

"In my experience, the player shoud turn on at the same volume it was at when it was turned off."
This is not the case with mine. It often forgets these settings.

A possible cause for this may be my server configuration. My domain controller's DHCP server is handing the receiver an ip number, so it is constant. I do this throught the usual MAC address translation. Then, the DNS can have a host name for that IP. This makes it possible for me to have a more friendly url. In this case, receiver.sitehound.net, on my home network. But from time to time, I check in through my PocketPC to see what the baby sitter is listening to while we are out. Freaks her out when I change the music selection by remote though!

None the less... I am curious if these settings can be persisted through the software, so that they maintain, even across power outages.

#220948 - 10/02/2002 10:58 Re: How to set default volume/tone levels? [Re: dleasman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
This is not the case with mine. It often forgets these settings.

Right. That's what I was saying. The only time it forgets those settings on my player is when the power is lost or the unit is deliberately cold-booted. Which, unfortunately, is too frequent for my tastes.

I am curious if these settings can be persisted through the software, so that they maintain, even across power outages.

Currently, they cannot, as far as I know. I would like to see this added as a feature in future releases of the software.

#220949 - 11/02/2002 05:43 Re: How to set default volume/tone levels? [Re: tfabris]
pedrodeoliveira
stranger

I have used two different line-out hacks and each of them had a different gain. For example 25 on the receivers volume indicator on the first one was *loud* while using the second hack (displayserver + line-out hack) 25 was very soft.

Pedro

#220950 - 11/02/2002 06:11 Re: How to set default volume/tone levels? [Re: pedrodeoliveira]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
When I tried Jeff Mock's line out volume hack I found it appeared to introduce digital noise into the output from the built in amp, which is why I decided not to include it in my port (http://www.norman.cx/receiver/) of the VolAdj patch.