Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#222429 - 27/11/2002 01:06 asf and other streaming support possible?
iceweazel
journeyman

Loc: the states
I haven't looked at the sdk or format specs (just downloaded them) for microsofts .asf, but I recall seeing that there is some limited support under linux for playing back these streams. I'd love to be able to get my local NPR stream supported on my receiver.

Anyone looked into this before? or other streaming formats (real, etc) The whole integer non-FP thing makes life interesting.

Ed

#222430 - 17/12/2002 18:34 Re: asf and other streaming support possible? [Re: iceweazel]
iceweazel
journeyman

Hmm some homework tells me that while I might be able to one day get .asf s to work, and there is even a linux project
working on clients for it now. just stay in it and port it to
integer will do the trick.

However, there's little chance of getting Real Audio working. Even with their excuse for an Open Source release of the server and the Helix client architecture nonsense, it would still require reverse engineering the client as it isn't covered by the open source releases. useless marketing ploy nonsense.

Ed

#222431 - 19/12/2002 01:46 Re: asf and other streaming support possible? [Re: iceweazel]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Not really; if you really wanted to you could use one of the hacks that's floating on the web for copying RA files, then setup a program to rip in real time/reencode..

(If you really wanted to:) )
-mark

#222432 - 21/12/2002 08:54 Re: asf and other streaming support possible? [Re: dionysus]
iceweazel
journeyman

hmm that might work for ram files on disk, but how to do that on the receiver with streams?? Such as BBC world service?

#222433 - 19/01/2003 13:34 Re: asf and other streaming support possible? [Re: iceweazel]
codaca
stranger

I too have been looking into how this can be done (playing Real audio streams in real time). Poking around I see that there are several Real audio plugins for things like WinAmp etc. These require the real audio player to be installed but well, ok.

With this one should be able to code up a server side which advertises a playlist and when the content is requested, it sucks the real audio and converts to something the receiver can play.

I'd like to do this on linux using jreceiver. Ideally the output format would be as simple as possible (e.g., WAV).