Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#85075 - 03/04/2002 03:33 No music on restart. I am worried.
Pzycho
new poster

I am fairly new to this (got my 30 gig in the last batch in Jan) and everything has been going great up until Friday. When I turned my car on Friday afternoon (Springbreak), The Rio/Empeg booted up perfectly and started playing, but no sound came out. I messed with the volume and what not, and still nothing. I then pulled out the player, put it back in and it booted up again and the sound was working properly just like new. I then drove around a bit, parked my car, left for a while (more than the standby length), turned the car back on and the Empeg booted perfectly again except without the sound like before. Knowing the solution, I pulled it out, popped it back in, and sound was fixed. Now I thought this was a fluke so I waited a day, and the same problem occured almost everytime I got back in my car (I don't usually remove the player). I then thought it might be a software bug so I reloaded 2.00B11 without hijack (I was running 2.00B11 HJ .246 before). This appeared to fix the problem and all was happy, until a few starts later when the problem came back. I am currently dealing with the problem by just popping it out everytime but I am hoping there is a quick fix. I really don't want to go back to 1.03 or mail it all the way back to the UK (I am in Cali and couldn't live without it). One other thing is that once and only once yesterday when I started the car it tried to play but there was a loud shrill sound I could here over the music. Popping out and in the player fixed this problem as well. Thank in advance for any help.

#85076 - 03/04/2002 07:16 Re: No music on restart. I am worried. [Re: Pzycho]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Last I heard that is a bug in the 2.0 beta. I can't remember if it was in the 2.07 or the current one.

Matt

#85077 - 03/04/2002 08:10 Re: No music on restart. I am worried. [Re: msaeger]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
I occasionally get this in my car -- if I hold down the top button to power off the empeg, and then power it back again -- it usually fixes it. I haven't had to pull the empeg from the dash yet.

I suspect that it might be a software problem, but since I'm running v2.00-roger20020322, I can't comment on which released versions it affects . The version I'm running was built from the trunk in CVS (rather than from the v2.0-beta branch), and so probably still has bugs in it that are fixed in v2.0-beta

This is on a mk2a, if that adds a data point.

#85078 - 03/04/2002 10:58 Re: No music on restart. I am worried. [Re: Pzycho]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
When it happens again, try turning off your car, waiting for the empeg to shut down (you might want to set the standby length to be small from Emplode before you do this so you don't have to wait forever), then turning the car back on. This should tell you if the problem has to do with how the empeg is seated or if it's more software-y.

Does your sled have the problem where the top lip is not bent back up and it just sticks straight out? If so, that might be preventing the empeg from making as good a contact as it should, and I can see how leaving it in the car might make it work out of the connector.

#85079 - 03/04/2002 10:58 Re: No music on restart. I am worried. [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Roger: I believe that both you and Pzycho are describing bug number 1785 in the internal bug list.

Pzycho: The work-around is (I think) to go into emplode and set the timeout to something very short, for instance, 5 seconds or so. This will make the player fully reboot when you start the car a second time (instead of just trying to come out of standby) and will work around the bug unless you deliberately wake the player with the ignition off.

#85080 - 03/04/2002 11:02 Re: No music on restart. I am worried. [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Pzycho said that at least one of the times this occurred, he'd waited long enough for it to power down.

#85081 - 03/04/2002 11:20 Re: No music on restart. I am worried. [Re: wfaulk]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
This has happened to me when I've put the player into the car from fresh and cranked the ignition. Now, turning the key usually causes a power-fail, so this might have something to do with it.

#85082 - 03/04/2002 11:25 Re: No music on restart. I am worried. [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Now, turning the key usually causes a power-fail, so this might have something to do with it.

In my car, I only see the powerfail when re-starting the car when the player is on, so that might explain why I only get it on a during-sleep-restart and you see it more often.

Then again, it might not be the same bug, who knows.

#85083 - 03/04/2002 11:38 Re: No music on restart. I am worried. [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

After looking at the pictures on your web site, it looks like you do have that unbent sled, which is ``bad''. Try just giving the empeg a nugde without removing it the next time it fails to start properly and see if that helps.

#85084 - 03/04/2002 14:00 Re: No music on restart. I am worried. [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Although Bitt is right that the sled might be suspect, first check to see whether it is the simple known software bug.

There is a way to verify whether or not it was the software bug.

On mine, when it does this, I can clearly tell that the DSP is muted in an "opposite-toggled" state because of this behavior (quoted from my internal bug report):

"When the player is on and it's not making any sound, I can sit there with the volume up and see the time counter ticking up and the blinking dot moving across the bar on the screen. Then, if I press the Pause button to pause the player, I get a brief "burst" of the song out of the outputs, then silence as it pauses. (Actually, don't remember if the burst was on the pause or on the unpause, but you get the idea). "

So the next time you see it playing without making any sound, try to pause/unpause it with the volume up and see if it makes the brief burst of the song. If that happens, it's the exact same bug, and it's a software bug.

#85085 - 03/04/2002 17:35 Re: No music on restart. I am worried. [Re: tfabris]
Pzycho
new poster

Thanks for the support everyone. I did a little more expermenting after reading. It was booting up normal most of the time today, but is screwed up once so I got to play with it. First off, powering on and off didn't fix the problem. Second I tried pausing it then unpausing it and it still didn't make a sound at all. Not even a beep. I then tried pushing on it to make sure it was secure in the bay. Still no sound. Not even a noise to indicate something was changing. I then turned the car off for a while, waited for the light to stop flashing, then turned it back on and the player went through the boot sequence again, and still no sound. I then pulled it out and put it back in and the sound came back. How odd. When it was out, I did notice that the top lip WASN'T bent. Is this a big problem? The empeg seems to slide snuggly in and rest on where the sides are bent. I am pretty sure it is not a connector problem because when i reinserted it, I let it sit at least a quarter inch out of its full docked position, and it worked perfectly with sound and everything. I then pushed it in snuggle to make sure it still slid in further. Any more ideas? Thanks again.