Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#298419 - 15/05/2007 14:40 Tuner - In and out of stereo
brax

Loc: Birmingham, AL
Tuner Symptoms - FM stations seem to go in and out of stereo is the best way to describe it. Also I will get almost full signal strength on a lot of stations that just have static (not full signal but one less) and other static stations will show about half signal. All AM stations give full signal strength, static or actual stations. My RDS icon will go off and on, on FM stations that do come in, but again still sounds like they go in and out of stereo.

I had posted this in another thread but wanted to start a new one on just my tuner problems as it is the most annoying. I had read several other post about people experiencing the same thing, FM stations going in and out of stereo. I never did find a thread where someone posted "aha this was my problem." Anyway I redid my antenna connection today (even used a new cable) but still seem to get the same results. Also I double checked my pin outs on the tuner connector and they are all correct. Does anyone know what my problem might be?

There is also one other thing, in the bottom right of the Empeg I get what looks like is my clock (without seconds) but it is wrong and does not change when I try and adjust the time. When I switch over to play mp3's the clock is correct and shows the seconds. So is this the clock when listening to the radio or something else?

#298420 - 15/05/2007 15:15 Re: Tuner - In and out of stereo [Re: brax]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
That time is coming from the radio station via RDS. If it's wrong, there's nothing you can do about except get the radio station to set their clock properly.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the rest of your problem.

#298421 - 21/05/2007 20:57 Re: Tuner - In and out of stereo [Re: wfaulk]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Falling "in and out of stereo" implies that:

-either your local station has not got their EOS/RDS settings right
- your tuner has a bad antenna earth
- your tuner has a bad signal ground
- your tuner might be talking to an active antenna with a bad power feed

Have a go at those first: if your antenna is short and has a coil wrapped around it, it's probably active and you need to wire up a good supply to it - the empeg tuner module doesn't do this.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#298422 - 22/05/2007 00:18 Re: Tuner - In and out of stereo [Re: schofiel]
brax

Quote:
Falling "in and out of stereo" implies that:

-either your local station has not got their EOS/RDS settings right
- your tuner has a bad antenna earth
- your tuner has a bad signal ground
- your tuner might be talking to an active antenna with a bad power feed

Have a go at those first: if your antenna is short and has a coil wrapped around it, it's probably active and you need to wire up a good supply to it - the empeg tuner module doesn't do this.

Thanks! I drive a 2001 F150 which I had the stock radio in it which did not have any issues with RDS from the stations. So I think that the antenna on the tuner side is probably the problem. I did your method of soldering the pigtails to the tuner can. I have even redone this once to see if maybe I missed something. When I redid my antenna connection I even replaced the antenna cable for the kit but had the same results.

I did not have any issues with my reception on the stock radio so I feel confident that my antenna cable and antenna of the truck are good and that it's on the tuner side. I don't think that my truck requires a power antenna, but I will check around some more to be sure. It is a tall mask antenna.

Would an FM booster help me any? I have always thought they were a waste of money but willing to try if they might help.

What is the best way to check the antenna earth and signal ground?

#298423 - 12/06/2007 23:39 Re: Tuner - In and out of stereo [Re: schofiel]
brax

Ok just bumping my post back to the top. I have redone my antenna connection for the second time and still no luck. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I am pretty much shooting in the dark at this point.

My symptoms are still the same, radio stations seem to go in and out of stereo while I am moving and listening to music. If my truck is sitting still then I don't have any issues. Also talk radio and "morning shows" seem to be fine while moving. It is only music that seems to have the problem, and only while I am moving.

While I was re-installing the tuner I played around with the antenna a little. If I have the radio on without the antenna plugged in the reception is bad and does not show any signal. But when I plug in the antenna the reception goes to full and sounds fine, note this is while sitting still.

I am almost ready to give up and put the tuner up for sale. I read a couple of other post in which people had similar issues but I could not find a resolution. Any help is greatly appreciated.

#298424 - 25/06/2007 13:34 Re: Tuner - In and out of stereo [Re: brax]
Sheepdip
new poster

I know it doesn't help but I'm now suffering the same problem after years of perfect reception. The FM station keeps cutting out and after some lengthy observation, it seems to coincide with the stereo symbol being displayed / stereo being received. I can even get full signal strength, but if that logo's not there I only get static. As this is a new issue I can only assume it's something to do with the tuner module itself. Dry joint may be as it 'seems' to be worse when everything's cold?

p.s. I've never been able to receive any AM stations for some reason I don't understand

#298425 - 25/06/2007 19:27 Re: Tuner - In and out of stereo [Re: Sheepdip]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
I know it doesn't help but I'm now suffering the same problem after years of perfect reception. The FM station keeps cutting out and after some lengthy observation, it seems to coincide with the stereo symbol being displayed / stereo being received. I can even get full signal strength, but if that logo's not there I only get static. As this is a new issue I can only assume it's something to do with the tuner module itself. Dry joint may be as it 'seems' to be worse when everything's cold?

p.s. I've never been able to receive any AM stations for some reason I don't understand

That's not the same problem being described earlier in this thread. Your problem sounds like you totally lose radio sound, whereas the original problem was just losing the stereo effect.

Your problem is very likely the "dead tuner" problem that many people have run into. Replacement of the RF module seems to be the only solution to date -- Patrick has spares for PCATS tuners, but those can also be fitted specially into factory tuners.

Cheers

#298426 - 25/06/2007 19:41 Re: Tuner - In and out of stereo [Re: mlord]
Sheepdip
new poster

Misunderstood then. Been playing around with it tonight and if you turn the volume up really high, the station is actually there but just too quiet to listen to. Doesn't that suggest the tuner is ok but the signals not getting amplified or something? Have PMd Patrick as it's probably the module whatever.

#298427 - 25/06/2007 22:28 Re: Tuner - In and out of stereo [Re: Sheepdip]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Misunderstood then. Been playing around with it tonight and if you turn the volume up really high, the station is actually there but just too quiet to listen to. Doesn't that suggest the tuner is ok but the signals not getting amplified or something? Have PMd Patrick as it's probably the module whatever.

Here is the original BBS thread on this kind of tuner failure. Yes, cranking the volume up might allow you to hear it very faintly, because the part that fails is the final output stage from the RF module.

Cheers

#298428 - 26/06/2007 05:19 Re: Tuner - In and out of stereo [Re: mlord]
Sheepdip
new poster

Quote:
Here is the original BBS thread on this kind of tuner failure. Yes, cranking the volume up might allow you to hear it very faintly, because the part that fails is the final output stage from the RF module.

Cheers

Yep, saw that after posting here

Thanks for the help!

#298429 - 22/09/2007 18:20 Re: Tuner - In and out of stereo [Re: Sheepdip]
Sheepdip
new poster

fitted the tuner module from Patrick today and everything back to normal - thanks to all for the help