Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#301968 - 09/09/2007 23:27 Mark Lord's dock and correct config
newguy1
enthusiast

Loc: Massachusetts,USA
I have a Mark Lord home dock and need to know what are the correct settings to use in order for the player to know it's in the dock and work with ethernet.
I now have to use Hijack to Force AC mode to get it to work.
But then when I put it in the car its still in AC mode.
BTW I have a PCATS tuner in the car.

#301969 - 10/09/2007 10:21 Re: Mark Lord's dock and correct config [Re: newguy1]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
I have a Mark Lord home dock and need to know what are the correct settings to use in order for the player to know it's in the dock and work with ethernet.

Go into the Hijack menu (long knob press), and set Force AC/DC Power Mode to Normal. It shoud then just work if this is really one of my docks.

Cheers

#301970 - 10/09/2007 10:26 Re: Mark Lord's dock and correct config [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:

Go into the Hijack menu (long knob press), and set Force AC/DC Power Mode to Normal. It shoud then just work if this is really one of my docks.

Oh, you did mention that you have a PCATS tuner in the car. So in that case, you can use the tuner-id to detect car mode quite reliably. You should set the Force AC/DC Power Mode value to If tuner=3, Force DC/Car.

If you then have a second tuner for home use, just change the jumpers on that second tuner to something other than the default 3, and it will automatically select AC Power at home. If you have no tuner at home, then nothing extra is required.

Cheers

#301971 - 11/09/2007 00:41 Re: Mark Lord's dock and correct config [Re: mlord]
newguy1
enthusiast

I did have it set to normal but it wouldn't connect to the network broadcast.
When I set to "force ac" mode it worked.
I thought that when the player is in your dock, the power comes from the sled connection and that the player thinks it's in the car and thats why the ethernet won't work.
I will try the " if tuner 3 then force dc/car mode",and report back later in the week.

#301972 - 11/09/2007 03:58 Re: Mark Lord's dock and correct config [Re: newguy1]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I thought that when the player is in your dock, the power comes from the sled connection and that the player thinks it's in the car and thats why the ethernet won't work.

This is true except for a tricky thing he does with his docks, where if he detects a certain loopback connection (I forget exactly which connection it is), then his Hijack software "knows" that it's in the dock and therefore he forces AC mode.

Are you running a fairly recent version of hijack? Is there anything else in your config.ini that might deliberately mess with these things?

In any case, when you insert the player into his dock, look for the ways to tell whether it thinks it's on AC or DC power and make sure that's really the issue you're seeing.

#301973 - 11/09/2007 11:23 Re: Mark Lord's dock and correct config [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:

In any case, when you insert the player into his dock, look for the ways to tell whether it thinks it's on AC or DC power and make sure that's really the issue you're seeing.

The simplest way to do that, is to just read the current power state directly from the top of the Hijack Force AC/DC Power Mode screen.

Cheers

#301974 - 12/09/2007 00:25 Re: Mark Lord's dock and correct config [Re: mlord]
newguy1
enthusiast

Well it turns out that it does work correctly in "normal" mode.
I just wasn't waiting long enough for it to connect.
It seemed to take longer than I was used to, so I Ass-umed it wasn't working.
Thanks for your help and my apologies to have troubled you.

#301975 - 12/09/2007 01:54 Re: Mark Lord's dock and correct config [Re: newguy1]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

It should connect quite quickly unless there is something unusual about your network configuration...

#301976 - 12/09/2007 11:27 Re: Mark Lord's dock and correct config [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
It should connect quite quickly unless there is something unusual about your network configuration...

Some of my players don't connect at all until after another machine pings them. Others connect immediately. All have fully static IP configurations.

Weird, but it's always been this way here, except when they players are plugged into a 10mb/s hub, rather than a 10/100 hub or switch.

Cheers

#307231 - 13/02/2008 21:44 Re: Mark Lord's dock and correct config (FAQ update?) [Re: mlord]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Hmmm - so for the record (and maybe the FAQ?)

My Empeg is in one of Mark's docks (of course) and I've been doing some development on the kernel.

I screwed up...

The problem was, although I know it was working as 'AC power' etc etc in the dock I didn't realise that hijack was being tricky.

Tony - maybe you could update this entry to say that this can't be done in Mark's docks and the player must be removed to be pumped ?

#307232 - 13/02/2008 22:00 Re: Mark Lord's dock and correct config (FAQ update?) [Re: LittleBlueThing]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

It's in the troubleshooting section here, but yeah, there should be mention of it in there. That particular section of the FAQ is normally maintained by someone else, but I'll go in and poke at it when I get some time.

#307233 - 14/02/2008 00:12 Re: Mark Lord's dock and correct config (FAQ update?) [Re: LittleBlueThing]
mlord
carpal tunnel

And do keep in mind, that with Hijack installed, the slow serial port "pump" is never required unless you mess something else up.

New kernels can be programmed quickly by just FTPing them to /proc/empeg_kernel, and my ethernet updater program can be used to very quickly change out the player software images.

Cheers