hello,

i have an empeg mk2 unit and i'm giving it a new hard drive. (in another post i mentioned this and someone was so very kind and pointed me to the rio car dot or FAQ on this procedure.)

i am taking out the old disk drive since i don't care about any of the music on it and plan to use the disk in another device. i have connected my new 40 GB disk (Hitachi Travelstar model IC25N040 ATCS04-0) and am attempting to use the upgrade tool to install a builder image.

unfortunately, the upgrade tool is failing to find the empeg unit. i know the serial port works and have no reason to believe that the cable is faulty (it's brand new... but from a local computer shop. i hope this isn't a silly question, but are all serial cables that have female 9-pin ends on both sides "null modem" cables? it's not like i could have a wrong type of cable is it?) but the empeg upgrade tool can't find the player. i also can't hyper terminal in. any other reasons that the unit would be failing like this?

when power is applied, the player's display panel lights up with the startup logos but no boot information appears on the screen. it just freezes with my "home" image on the display.