Hi!

For some time now, I've been working on a lyrics plugin for winamp that will write to SYLT frames. The only major bug I have before releasing the first version is when I write the SYLT frame to the mp3 file, the bitrate of the file (I only use VBR) is changed to the nearest standard (128, 160, 192, etc ), dependig of the average bitrate of the song. The result is that the track lenght estimation (as shown in total track time) is no longer right. The song is playing ok and stops at the right time, but maybe something like 4.54/7:07. And this only happens in the empeg; in winamp, the time shown is correct.

To write in the mp3, I use a modified version of id3lib called vbid3lib.dll. I use the same steps as does Tony C in lrctool , and emphatic can read lyrics and timestamp correctly, so I guess I'm using the library correctly. Maybe I'm simply forgetting a crucial step. Anybody ever used this library to write to mp3?

How are the bitrate "written" in a mp3? How does VBR mp3 bitrate is specified? As I understand it, each frame has a different bitrate. But how does the player know which is the right average bitrate? or how does it know that the first bitrate it gets is the bitrate for THAT frame and not for the entire mp3?? On a wider note: Is there anywhere on the net I could find an "exploded" hex view of a mp3 with each part (header, frame, tag...) explained? I know www.id3.org, but I just can't seem to crossreference the documentation with a real mp3...

Thanks for your help guys!

Patrick