Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#38682 - 17/09/2001 10:34 Another WRX install...
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Actually... it is still "in progress".

I installed some 5 1/4" speakers in the rear doors. Try as I might, I couldn't get them to fit with a spacer/adapter, so I ended up dremeling part of the sheet metal away to make room. After that, I had to drill new holes. The speakers I chose (Infinity) have "aimable" tweeters that stick out really far, so it only added to my problem. I also cut away some plastic in the speaker grill to allow for more room "just in case" ;) .

The fronts were a little easier, or so it seemed. I was able to make 3/4" adapters for the 6 1/2" Infinity woofer and hot glued the tweeters right to the old tweeter position. I don't have model numbers, but it is the Infiniy (both are non-Kappa) components with the 6 1/2" woofer. Thanks to someone on the i-club.com, I knew the crossover would install in the door near the latch.

Running the wires, I ran the power down one side of the center counsol and the RCA's down the other. I did this on the sworn word of a friend that I wouldn't get alternator whine. Speaker wires were run along the door trim. Everything just pops in and out of place, so it was fairly easy. The only major component I had to remove was rear seat in order to run wires to the trunk and ground the amp.

Using Jim's awesome advice, I dremeled the dash bezel with no problems. I was rather impressed with myself here! :) Unfortunatley, I was not able to use the "pocket" I had rush delivered from Subaru because there is simply no room for both it and the empeg. It looks like I will have to just fill the gap with plastic of some sort. Not sure what my solution will be for that. Also, I was not able to use both DIN plates. I enlargened there holes a bit, so they would alow for more room and play, but there is only room for one of them and the empeg. I chose the passanger side one becusae of the ground plug on it.

Jim, how did you adapt the DIN plates? with both plates in, the space is too narrow for the empeg... Pics coming soon.

So...... I still have a lot of tweeking to do. The front speakers distort because they are hitting the doors. I cut a lot of plastic away and that helped tons. But I fear I may have to cut thinner adapters. Maybe 1/2" or so. I had a bit of alternator whine before I figuerd out I should have the grouned DIN plate in...

Any tips? Like I said, I will post some pics so my rambleing will be more meaninful :)

Brad

PS - thanks again to everyone for there help, esp. Jim!

32GB Mk. II in a WRX
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

#38683 - 19/09/2001 20:28 Re: Another WRX install... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Brad,

Glad the Dremelling went well on the bezel. Buried somewhere around here I have a "Toyota" pocket that Crutchfield sent me that may work for you. I'm leaving town for a few days (London as a matter of fact. Anyone know where to get a stainless cargo step protector plate for a 2002 Impreza wagon in London?? They are sold in the UK, but not the US), but PM me and I'll e-mail you the dimensions when I get back and find that plastic pocket. If it fits you can have it.

Sounds like you had fun with the doors/speakers. The WRX is pretty challenging in that regard.

Re: DIN plates. The Empeg sled is definitely wider than the stock head unit and the 1-DIN Kenwood I put in, but I did manage to screw the sled into both brackets and use them both. Just hit it with a sledge hammer!

The new bezel I ordered just arrived (Ooh, my AR green faceplate, too!), so I'll be starting V2.0 install (Empeg on top) soon. FYI, saw a cool post on I-Club about installing a Passport SR1 control unit in the cupholder slot on the WRX (Nobody uses that 2nd cupholder for fear of spilling coffee on their Empeg!)

This week was slightly better than last week. May next week be slightly better than this week, and may the following week...

Jim

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#38684 - 26/09/2001 09:35 Re: Another WRX install... [Re: jimhogan]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Jim, I sent you a PM a while back... but don't really remember what I asked! doh!

For now, I have some pix of my car, but they don't include any interior shots:

http://www.motorcityimprov.com/wrx/index.html

32GB Mk. II in a WRX
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

#38685 - 26/09/2001 09:55 Re: Another WRX install... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Brad,

I forgot what I answered! Oh, amp grounding...I ran power cable through the driver side firewall grommet, then under the driver side kick panel and sills. Everything else went under the center console. Amp is grounded to one of the (13mm?) bolts that secure the reinforcing bar under the rear seat. For once, not a bit of hum!

Nice pics. I went looking for a photogenic steaming manhole cover around here, but couldn't find one!

Jim

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#38686 - 26/09/2001 10:17 Re: Another WRX install... [Re: jimhogan]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

hehe Thanks Jim. I just re-did my ground and used the same location. Had to remove some paint as well. I hear a tiny bit of hum.... or is that my turbo?

Other than that, I just need to fill the gap below the deck and find a way to get both plates in there...

I actually hot glued the sled to the bezel. That plus the tight fit keeps the sled in place. If I glue some plastic "fill" for the gap, that will help hold as well. When I remove the bezel now, I just unscrew the wireing harness from the sled. That way, the sled covers my dremel job.... Pics to come very soon. I'll put them on the same link.

32GB Mk. II in a WRX
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com