Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#74626 - 25/02/2002 08:23 Jetta 2001 Installation Instructions
filou
new poster

Loc: Canada
Here is what I just emailed another user. Let me know if anything is missing.

#1 - Get the radio removal keys for your jetta from the VW dealer. The problem is that they will probably not sell them. I was in good terms with a mechanic who gave them to me. Without these, it'll be impossible, because you have to insert/remove your deck more than once (I had to!).

#2 - Get the VW CD Changer. This once is unfortunate, but you have to bite the bullet... Unless you can program your Empeg to imitate the CD changer (via the DATA port), which is unlikely, there is no way your radio will switch to CD mode.

If you get the garage to install it ($40), stick around when the tech does it, it's a good way to explain what you're about to do and ask for the keys!

#3 - Get the cable adaptor that normally comes with the in-dash CD-player. This is a short cable that extends the T8 black connector to provide the "Illumination" terminal for the in-dash CD-Player. If you can also get an extension for the T20 connector, get it (i did not ask for that).

If you need the part #, I can probably dig it, but it may take a bit of time.

I used that to split the BATTERY POSITIVE (7) and GROUND (8) from the T8 connector. Another possibility is to get it from (16) and (18) from T20, which I did not try, but maybe it would provide better power to the Empeg, since it has probably been filtered for noise by the deck (I'm just guessing).

What I had to do was get a NOISE FILTER ($7 to $10 at an electronics store) to eliminate noise coming from the alternator. At this point, I can still hear it a bit if I pause the Empeg and raise to volume, but it's acceptable.

The noise filter is connected to my Empeg Battery Positive wire and the Empeg's Ignition wire. The Empeg does not respond to the care ignition, but I do not care. You can try to use the car ignition, but it may introduce alternator noise.

#4 - Split wires (18), (19) and (20) from T-20, and insert RCA connectors on each end. This is the most delicate part, since you have to solder it inside the Jetta, unless you can get a T-20 extension connector (?).

You should then have 4 RCA connections, each grounded with (18): 2 going to the trunk CD and 2 going to the deck.

#5 - The VW Deck deck must be ABOVE the Empeg because it makes a lot of heat.

#6 - Connect your RCA jacks to the Empeg case. I assume your power, ignition and ground are already connected to the case. I had to ground the case chasis to the Deck chasis as well, with a 10 or 12 gauge wire. It eliminated 40% of the noise (the other 40% was eliminated by the noise filter). THe remaining 20% is what I consider acceptable :-)

#6.5 - Test your setup. It should work when you select "CD" on the deck and if you select "Aux" on the Empeg, you should be able to listen to the Jetta CD player.

#7 - Fit the case in the deck. This is hard, but it should fit without cutting anything from the jetta (like the plastic holders behind the deck).

#8- Once the case and the deck are nicely in place, use a screwdriver to secure the Empeg case. This is done by bending the little metal pins on the case.

#9 - Test the setup, it should work like a charm!

#10 - Lock your car and make sure it "beeps", otherwise your deck is not inserted all the way which prevent the alarm from checking the deck.

Let me know if you have questions....
(phil
Att
kusat
dotte
moc backwards.

It's not easy, but it's worth it :-)

Attachments
72553-jetta-pins.doc (407 downloads)

#74627 - 25/02/2002 09:37 Re: Jetta 2001 Installation Instructions [Re: filou]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Nice write-up.

The CD changer is not neccessary for 98-01 VWs. Blitzsafe make an adapter ($108 including overnight ship) that will enable the CD in to be used. (The HU thinks it's always playing CD 1 track 1).

I documented the wiring for my 2000 Golf. Look down the topic list, or search for it. Jetta and Beetle should be the same.

BTW, I haven't noticed any heat problems having my HU below the Empeg. The power transistors are mounted on the left side of the HU, with a heatsink on the side - most of the heat should radiate away from the Empeg, and not up. I'll keep an eye on it though.

#74628 - 25/02/2002 21:20 Re: Jetta 2001 Installation Instructions [Re: filou]
jono
new poster

Thanks for the info. I'm going to get the blitzsafe and try it - I'll let you know how the install went. I found a source online for the radio key: http://www.samstagsales.com/vwaudi.htm , but being impatient used the metal bars from a hanging file folder to pop my radio...

#74629 - 25/02/2002 21:48 Re: Jetta 2001 Installation Instructions [Re: jono]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

but being impatient used the metal bars from a hanging file folder to pop my radio...

I used a cut up medical insurance card.... (old one of course )
How well did the hanging bars work?

#74630 - 26/02/2002 18:00 Re: Jetta 2001 Installation Instructions [Re: genixia]
jono
new poster

They worked great- the metal is pretty stiff. That's the least of my worries: I think I've got all the harness wires on the way (I hope), but I have to pester my girlfriend to use her Amex to order the adapter from blitzsafe... They don't accept Visa or MC... There seems to be no on-line sourcing for it- when I called they suggested crutchfield, but they only carry the CD changer interfaces. I will have to be patient..

#74631 - 27/02/2002 20:04 Re: Jetta 2001 Installation Instructions [Re: filou]
bloodrush
new poster

Loc: Albuquerque, NM, USA
There is an adapter at www.rcainput.com that you can use. I just received one from them today and it seems to be working fine. This is in a 2002 Jetta w/ Monsoon HU and CD player installed above. I just removed the CD player and stuck the adapter into the HU. So far so good. I just need to splice off the Power wire somewhere to get power to the Empeg. Hope that helps. Oh...the adapter is $69.99 at rcainput.com

By the way, does anyone have a suggestion on what is the best way to get power to the Empeg? There are no loose wires after I removed the CD player. I assume I will have to splice off of one of the power cables attached to the HU. Do I need to do both the +12 Constant and the Ignition or will just one of them work fine? Thanks for your help

RlR

Edited by bloodrush (27/02/2002 20:14)

#74632 - 27/02/2002 20:18 Re: Jetta 2001 Installation Instructions [Re: bloodrush]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Whoa what a cool URL and company. I am adding them to the FAQ. Can't believe I didn't know about them before.

#74633 - 27/02/2002 22:16 Re: Jetta 2001 Installation Instructions [Re: bloodrush]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

That looks suspiciously like the Blitzsafe adapter...

I knew that Blitzsafe 'direct sales' prices were marked up but that is a large difference...Good find, I wish I'd known about them 3 weeks ago.

#74634 - 27/02/2002 22:20 Re: Jetta 2001 Installation Instructions [Re: bloodrush]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

By the way, does anyone have a suggestion on what is the best way to get power to the Empeg? There are no loose wires after I removed the CD player. I assume I will have to splice off of one of the power cables attached to the HU. Do I need to do both the +12 Constant and the Ignition or will just one of them work fine? Thanks for your help

I went through this in some detail for a non-monsoon unit here.

#74635 - 05/03/2002 16:42 Re: Jetta 2001 Installation Instructions [Re: filou]
DzlDubber
stranger

For the longest time I couldn't figure out what you were trying to do with the CD changer... now I see. A little bit excessive to install the changer to get it to work with the OEM head unit (buying a new head unit would be much cheaper), but it might be interesting considering I already have a changer... I was going to get rid of it to install the Empeg, but now I see I don't have to. The only thing that bothers me about this setup is that the CD changer is always playing, and that the VW head unit will display that. But that's just a minor annoyance. At least now I don't have to go out and buy the Blitzsafe adapter. Which i wasn't going to to anyway....

Get the VW CD Changer. This once is unfortunate, but you have to bite the bullet... Unless you can program your Empeg to imitate the CD changer (via the DATA port), which is unlikely, there is no way your radio will switch to CD mode

I was going to do this (with a microcontroller, not the Empeg) because I'm too cheap to buy the Blitsafe adapter. Obviously, I don't place a very high value on my time. Actually though, emulating the changer to keep the CD channel on the OEM head unit alive is pretty easy - it could be done in an afteroon. But I'm a little bit crazy, and decided to figure out the complete VW communications protocol between the changer and head unit. I'll post the information somewhere when I finish getting it all together.

As for programming the Empeg to emulate the CD changer and avoid using the Blitzsafe adapter... that probably could be done. I don't know too much about hacking the Empeg, but a little circuit to hook up the serial port and set it to constantly send out garbage data would be enough to do the job.

#74636 - 10/03/2002 12:01 Re: Jetta 2001 Installation Instructions [Re: bloodrush]
jono
new poster

rcainput.com got empegbbs'd after the posts and sold out of VW adapters- they're not so good about notifying customers, so be aware that they are not expecting stock of the VW adapters back in until late in the week. I called up and the guy I talked to couldn't believe how many VW owners suddenly placed orders. He upgraded my shipping, which is better than nothing. Still, they could have emailed. (I ordered on the 28th) Still better than Blizsafe, who when I called back with an Amex, said they only accepted money orders. (I don't think they deal with the public very often)

#74637 - 21/03/2002 13:09 Re: Jetta 2001 Installation Instructions [Re: jono]
sisisee
new poster

Apart from www.samstagsales.com/vwaudi.htm I found a couple of more places to order the radio removal key: http://www.gprparts.com/sirtools/tools_VA.html (va6026)
and http://www.zelenda.com/VW/beetle.html (T10057).
Also a couple of funny pics of the tool :-) : http://mach.mach-nine.com/gti/pictures/ and maybe the real one: http://www.gprparts.com/sirtools/images/VA%206026.JPG

I cut up my own keys from an old credit card, looking at the above URL, hoping that the picture shows the keys in true size. However I could not unlatch my factory HU (golf'01, no Monsoon, no Mid) to see if I'll be able to plug one of those adapters on the back.

Does anyone have any other tips on the key, such as size or the position in which it should be used? (small slot pointing up?). Thanks

#74638 - 22/03/2002 15:02 Re: Jetta 2001 Installation Instructions [Re: sisisee]
jono
new poster

The tool has to be pretty stiff to pop the latches- that's why I used the hanging folder rod. I guess that's why the GTI guy ground down a knife. I don't think the slot/angle means much- I was basically pushing it with a square face. (Hey, I could be beating the hell out of the mechanism with it, but I'm counting on not having to pop the radio very often.) I just shoved straight back, you can feel the latch go- then you work the side out, make sure the other side is loose...

#74639 - 22/03/2002 19:51 Re: Jetta 2001 Installation Instructions [Re: jono]
Satan_X
enthusiast

Loc: Ramsey, NJ
Damn, I just asked my dealer for them......gave 'em to me, no charge.......

#74640 - 23/03/2002 21:06 Re: Jetta 2001 Installation Instructions [Re: filou]
jono
new poster

Victory at last. Thanks to filou, genixia, and the others for the valuable info. I ended up getting the Metra harnesses and made an in-between by wiring them together, [I think that's pretty much a M-F ISO connector then- you could probably get non-VW specific wires?] then I spliced in the ground for the blizsafe (ordered from rcainput- came maked as blitzsafe). Didn't have to touch the factory wires. The blizsafe goes in where the blue changer prewire to the trunk was. The blizafe and empeg are both spliced into factory ground- if it seems to noisy, I'll run a new ground. Initial tests are great. If it works, I'll attach a pic of the bastard, hack-job harness and the finished unit.

Attachments
81332-hack_job.JPG (101 downloads)

#74641 - 23/03/2002 23:02 Re: Jetta 2001 Installation Instructions [Re: jono]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Your attachment didn't work. Most likely because image size was > 100k bytes

/Michael

#74642 - 12/04/2002 17:09 Re: Jetta 2001 Installation Instructions [Re: mtempsch]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

A note for anyone doing a Golf/Jetta double DIN install with a non-monsoon setup.

Put the empeg below the stock HU. The stock HU kicks out some heat when the volume is low, and will cause the empeg to get hot on long drives. With the volume up high, it's not nearly so much as an issue.

#74643 - 09/06/2002 14:44 Re: Jetta 2001 Installation Instructions [Re: Satan_X]
jagorny
new poster

Note on the tools... I was able to actually purchase a pair... $11 and you could make them yourself I swear! They are about the slant of an x-acto blade... in fact, you could proabbly use that as a template. BTW... since I used the same tool (a tri-tool actually, with old stereo mount keys, the new 'Beetle' mount key, and the mercedes mount key all on one y-shaped tool. You may have to find the VW Beetle stereo removal tool to get one shaped like this... I have a 2002 Golf double-din and it worked just fine... I was even able to wiggle out the single pair (should use two pairs) in order to get each side out... I have heard of folks using old credit cards to do the same thing... there isn't a lot of tension to it at all... there are spring tabs that are 'J' shaped... the slant fits into the slot on the spring pushing it in... the notch simply locks the tool in place so it can be used to pull out the stereo.

#74644 - 14/09/2002 01:22 Re: Jetta 2001 Installation Instructions [Re: DzlDubber]
filou
new poster

Loc: Canada

Re: CD always playing

Actually, I don't even notice... I loaded an old copy of REDHAT linux in tray #1 and it has been looping since last year. Since there's only 1 CD and it only has 1 track, there is never any pause.