First...this is not about bragging and this is not for anyone that wants to create a rolling concert hall. This post is to help out anyone with a Pathfinder that doesn't want to get ripped off and just wants to get thier stuff installed and working with a minimum of fuss and money.

Background: I got a 20GB RioCar and a Sony Xplod head unit. The factory stereo in my 94 Pathfinder was really prety bad. Anyway, there are three things that you need to be aware of when installing an aftermarket head unit in a Pathfinder.

1. Pathfinders have stock power amps. The head unit does not send out any power. (Mine are Clarion)
2. Any installer that tells you that they MUST rewire the car to bypass the amps to install a new head unit is completly full of [censored].
3. Apparently some installer don't know that Pathfinders have factory installed amps and will install POWERED head units by wiring the powered lines to the amp conections...you can tell if this is the case by a simple test...is there a massive volume spike when you go from volume level 1 to to level 2? This is also bad because sending power THROUGH the amps can destroy them...then you have to buy new equipment.

I was told that just to install my new head unit it would cost $100+ and they would have to re-wire the car. Now, I hate being told what I can't do and I'm pretty handy with eletronics. The truth is, the if your head unit has pre-amp outs, you can wire it to the factory power-amps in 15 minutes. I was told that this was impossible and no install shop in town would even talk to me about doing it.

Now the better part. Because the RioCar has pre-amp outs (Front and Rear) you can wire it right to the power amps too just as easily. You do have to trim the console a little for the sled, but that took all of 15 minutes with a good utility knife.

So, for $7 in parts and 1.5 hours later, I have a Sony Xplod head unit AND my RioCar wired in parallel so they operate independently. It sounds great.

But wait, there's more. A friend has a 96 Pathfinder. His head unit was installed as in warning 3 above by a "pro" at Circut City. he was told by more "pros" that that is just the way it is. He had his RioCar installed and was forced to buy and FM modulator to connect it to his head unit.

He went back to a reputable install shop armed with my install details and was told that there is no way that that could work, but they would try it anyway. The tech re0did the head unit as per my instructions and wired in the RioCar and was completely shocked when it worked (remember these are pros we're talking about).

So, moral...Pathfinders are easy to install into and don't let the techs bully you into a $100+ install job. Here is what I did:

I got my head unit from Crutchfield so I got a OEM wiring harnes included, but you can buy one from other places. Get one!!! Then go get yourself some decent RCA cables. Cut the RCA cables so you have RCA->bare wire (you'll need a total of 4 of these "custom" connectors). Strip the wire ends and separate the + and - wires (+ is the wire in the center of the cable). You now have a piece that can attach to the pre-amp out of your head unit and/or RioCar and be wired to the speaker conections in the wiring harness. Make the connections for front and rear, and all other connections (memory, switched ignition, Remote Amp On, power antena, etc.). The Remote Amp On is very important here. You need to connect BOTH head unit and RioCar lines if you want to be able to use the units independantly. Once all the connections are made, plug it in and turn it on. Thats basically it.

It should take you no more than 2 hours to do this yourself, but if your not the handyman type, tell this to an installer, let them laugh at you, then insist that they do it. I'd post pictures, but I think that we all know what a RioCar looks like installed by now.