Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#201896 - 01/02/2004 22:33 Streaming from empeg to Tivo Home Media Option...
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
...works perfectly. Once I downloaded a playlist .m3u file to the PC that runs the Tivo server software I was able to publish it and play the stream downstairs through my Tivo. Since it's a stream it doesn't show time remaining, but the artist & title information came through just fine (depending on the quality of your tags of course).

Skipping tracks had a wee lag, but definitely serviceable. It's so nice when things Just Work. Kudos (yet again) to Mr. Lord for the web & ftp interfaces that make this possible as well as the fine dock the empeg sits in.

For what it's worth, both sides of the stream (empeg -> PC and PC -> Tivo) were over 802.11b across two floors. I finally got to use the D-Link DWL-810+'s I picked up on Rob's advice some months back.

My second empeg & sled (the source for my Tivo stream) also now feeds my Tivoli Model Three clock radio so I can have something other than radio. It was a good day for technology at the Greenwald house.

-Zeke

#201897 - 02/02/2004 08:04 Re: Streaming from empeg to Tivo Home Media Option... [Re: Ezekiel]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Wow! Can you explain how this works a little more?

#201898 - 02/02/2004 13:11 Re: Streaming from empeg to Tivo Home Media Option [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Sure!

There's three main components - your empeg w/Hijack kernel, your PC which is running the Tivo Home Media option server software, and your Tivo. These three must be connected via some type of network. In my case it's an 802.11b network running off of an SMC access point which acts as my DHCP server (my PC has a wired connection, the Tivo and empeg are wireless).

Next, access the built in Hijack playlists web page and save 'stream' links as .m3u files on your PC. So, if you have 'Reggae' and 'Pop' lists, save these as 'Reggae.m3u' and 'Pop.m3u' someplace on your PC.

After you've save the .m3u files, use the Tivo server software to 'publish' them. I don't remember the exact steps for this, but the Tivo software is pretty straightforward. Go to your Tivo and you should now see your playlists showing inside the 'Music on XXXXX' entry. Select your playlist and then choose a song and hit Select on the Tivo remote.

My network setup is a single subnet 192.168.123.XXX, FWIW.

-Zeke