Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#227151 - 15/07/2004 08:58 New Microphone Thread
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

Okay. I am looking at the microphone that was recommended as part of the mysterious (still unannounced but highly discussed) AutoEQ feature. While I do not have the software, I assume it will be released into the wild eventually. So, a few questions:

Any particular reason that an ultra compact surfact mount mic was selected? Or was it more that this was what was lying around empeg towers?

Is the AutoEQ something that is really run once, or is it something that is more "session" or autocorrecting?

Basically, I am looking to get a microphone. I know I need something with a flat response curve and good quality going to a mono 3.5mm miniplug. But I am wondering if I should get something small (read this as "easy to loose and attempt to solder a plug onto"), get something that should be permanently mounted in the car (read this as "I will be fiddling with the AutoEQ a lot, not just during an initial setup phase") or get a professional grade mic (read this as "full size, hand held, maybe a better response curve, probably more expensive but indestructable")...

#227152 - 15/07/2004 12:31 Re: New Microphone Thread [Re: pgrzelak]
bbowman
enthusiast

Loc: Virginia, USA
I'm not certain as to why it would have to have a flat response curve. My impression is that it is only necessary to pick up voice. So if it is tuned (for lack of a better word) to human vocal frequencies, wouldn't that be good enough? My first impression is that it would be better that way so as to "cut out" all of the non-voice frequencies that may confuse the voice recognition system.
Still looking for a good way to install in a 2010 BMW 3 series with iDrive/NAV

#227153 - 15/07/2004 13:09 Re: New Microphone Thread [Re: bbowman]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Well, I am not thinking voice recognition at the moment. The intent is for Automatic EQ, as per Mark's photograph.

#227154 - 15/07/2004 13:14 Re: New Microphone Thread [Re: bbowman]
elperepat
enthusiast

Loc: Qc, Canada
Doh.. Not fast enough...

Quote:
I'm not certain as to why it would have to have a flat response curve.

That mic is mainly for the Auto-EQ that is announced in the next release. The more flat response it will have, the better the Auto-EQ settings will be.

VR is still not on the horizon. At least, not as I understand from the little info I gathered on the BBS from guys who were at the meet.

Edited by elperepat (15/07/2004 13:14)

#227155 - 15/07/2004 13:20 Re: New Microphone Thread [Re: elperepat]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

By the way, from general discussion I assume that this is extreme overkill. Thoughts / opinions?

#227156 - 15/07/2004 14:35 Re: New Microphone Thread [Re: pgrzelak]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

That'd do a beautiful job. Shame it needs phantom power.

#227157 - 15/07/2004 14:44 Re: New Microphone Thread [Re: genixia]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

I have already accounted for that, and for the XLR -> mini-plug converter. I might have the converter in a draw somewhere from my old concert recording days. The phantom power supply is also readily available.

#227158 - 15/07/2004 15:46 Re: New Microphone Thread [Re: bbowman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I'm not certain as to why it would have to have a flat response curve. My impression is that it is only necessary to pick up voice.

If it were for Voice Recognition, then your statement would be correct. But feature we're discussing here is automatic equalization, which requires either (a) a flat response, or if it's not flat, then (b) a carefully plotted calibration chart showing exactly where it's not flat so that the discrepancy can be compensated for in the software.

#227159 - 16/07/2004 00:19 Re: New Microphone Thread [Re: pgrzelak]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
I wonder if someone could get an awesome mic like that and we'll just pass it from one person to the next, doing their one-time AutoEQ and passing it on. Because, as I see it, AutoEQ will be a one-time-per-equipment-change thing.

Edit:
Ha, or one person could use it then hide it in a GeoCache somewhere. What do they call those (now disallowed?) GeoCaches that travel around? Hm.......

Edited by FireFox31 (16/07/2004 00:21)

#227160 - 16/07/2004 08:41 Re: New Microphone Thread [Re: FireFox31]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

The mic (and associated adapter and phantom power supply) is already on its way to me in NJ. I am not really a GeoCacher, so I have no idea how that would work. But I have no objections to passing it around for people (in the empeg community) to experiment / tune with.

Before anyone sends email or PM - let's wait until it arrives before putting in a request for it.

#227161 - 16/07/2004 08:44 Re: New Microphone Thread [Re: FireFox31]
JonnyGee
journeyman

Loc: Cambridge, UK
The ECM8000 with phantom power supply should work just fine.

I suspect that auto-eq will not be a one-off for most people, since there are many variables eg which mic to use, where to place it etc, and any change to your install will require resetting the AutoEQ. Also note my comments on getting the levels right in another thread.

That's why I wanted to suggest an adequate mic that isn't too expensive so everyone who wants to use the feature can get their own. We now have a "europe" and a "US" favourite mic - I should get those details into the FAQ or something.

Also, if we ever do implement VR you'll already have the microphone! It's not on any development schedules though and presents significant technical difficulties.

Cheers, John

#227162 - 16/07/2004 08:56 Re: New Microphone Thread [Re: JonnyGee]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

?!? Is there actually a "development schedule" for the car player??? Edit: I am not trying to be sarcastic or anything. I always thought car player development was a spare time thing. I did not know there was any formal framework around it.

Edited by pgrzelak (16/07/2004 08:58)

#227163 - 16/07/2004 10:28 Re: New Microphone Thread [Re: pgrzelak]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
?!? Is there actually a "development schedule" for the car player??? Edit: I am not trying to be sarcastic or anything. I always thought car player development was a spare time thing. I did not know there was any formal framework around it.

There isn't a car-player development schedule. (The car-player was only ever released to a quality bar, not to a time schedule. That's why it remains the best product Rio has ever done.) There's only very informally a list of target features. The point is that, being a shared codebase and all that, the car-player often ends up getting "for free" features aimed at other players (Karma, Receiver). But voice recognition isn't on any of those development schedules (that I've seen), so as there's definitely no way such a big feature will get implemented purely during our spare-time car-player maintenance, there's just no prospect of it at all at the moment.

Peter

#227164 - 24/09/2004 00:52 Re: New Microphone Thread [Re: pgrzelak]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I'm thinking of picking up this mic tomorrow.. If it doesn't work, I can return it.

Link.