Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#209261 - 14/03/2004 13:52 Florida Recommendations?
gui

Hope you guys can help me with this... My wife and I are travelling to Florida in a couple of weeks, flying into Tampa picking up a hire car and then flying out of Tampa again two weeks later. The only thing we're lacking is any plans on where to go or what to see.

Sadly, our accomodation went completely pear shaped last night, so having spent the day reading web sites and guide books we can get ourselves fired up.

So, please, can anyone suggest must see stuff that could be taken in in a two week round trip from Tampa?

To give you some ideas in what we like/don't like:

We have no interest in visiting Disney or any other parks, unless there's a good counter argument!
Would love to see the National Parks - wildlife, hiking, photography, canoe, kayaking
We're happy to camp, but are there any good camping stores near Tampa to stock up on supplies?
Have been looking at Reserve America for campsites either for tents or cabins.
Having never stayed in a cabin, are the facilities good? I seem to recall that some US empeg meets have been held in cabins.
Are you usually able to just turn up at these places and stay if they have room?
Good seafood and beer is also a must somewhere in the trip.
The Everglades look like it's worth a visit.
Miami holds no interest, although a day on a beach somewhere would be nice.
Looks like there's plenty of decent motels as with other trips I've taken.

Thanks for any ideas you are able to offer...

Phil

#209262 - 15/03/2004 06:22 Re: Florida Recommendations? [Re: gui]
rowitech
enthusiast

Loc: Germany, Cologne
Hi,

I've been there (Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Keys) a few months ago. Miami Beach is much less interesting than I thought. So son't waste your time there. Much more interesting is Ft. Lauderdale, maybe you want to make an excursion via boat e.g. to see the big boat of the Oracle founder and some other millionaires :-). A trip to the keys has been a must for me. Especially Key West is nice, even when it is very touristic there. For women a trip to the Sawgrass Mills for going shopping can be very nice, even when it hurts your credit card :-).

I'm sure the people who live there can tell you much more, I'm only 4-day tourist...

Rolf

#209263 - 15/03/2004 08:51 Re: Florida Recommendations? [Re: gui]
Redrum
old hand

Sounds like you’re into about the same kind of things I’m into.

Here’s what I’d do if I had the time:

Head south along the coast.
Hit the Shell Factory in Port Charlotte
Time it so you can watch the sunset over the Gulf on a clear day
Head east on Alligator alley. See how fast the rental car can go. You can also hit some Indian tourist traps
Hit the East Coast and head south
Cruse all the way down to Key West
On the way they have some sea life stops like a Dolphin petting/swimming place and other attraction
Once in Key West take a snorkeling cruse. I think the best part about Florida is snorkeling around the reef.
Go to sloppy Joe’s and they have a nightly celebration on the Warf.

I’d then take 95 North and head over to the coast right above where you turned south.
If you want to see some unbelievable houses hit the coast around Jupiter
If you have the time I’d head up to Daytona Beach. Driving a car right on the beach just rocks.
Then head over to Cape Kennedy and see the NASA space museum
If you want, hit Lake Okeechobee but that gets a little boring
If you’re into Drag racing hit Don Garlits museum in Ocala. ->www.garlits.com/
I know you said you’re not into the Parks but they really are something to see. And if you stay there stay at one of the Disney hotels. They are nice!

#209264 - 15/03/2004 08:58 Re: Florida Recommendations? [Re: gui]
Redrum
old hand

Oh yea, rent a convertible.

#209265 - 15/03/2004 09:55 Re: Florida Recommendations? [Re: gui]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Visit the bird sanctuary on Isla Morada (inner keys).

Go canoeing from one of the natural springs (one-way with a pickup).

See the horse farms in Ocala.

Be sure to have some fresh oranges.

Caledesi Island state park, accessible from ferry only via Honeymoon Island (just north of Dunedin - just north of Tampa).

Go on a scuba dive trip off the keys (take a resort course if you're not certified).

See Kennedy Space Center/Cape Canaveral & take a tour.

See the manatees.

-Zeke

#209266 - 15/03/2004 14:49 Re: Florida Recommendations? [Re: Redrum]
ctcsoft
stranger

I vote for see the manatees too!!

I recently went to Blue Springs State park. It was pretty nice. You can canoe, swim, see the manatees, hike, etc. Aligators there too.

Just google Blue Springs state park. I think its still manatee season but you might wanna call the park for more info.

#209267 - 15/03/2004 15:54 Re: Florida Recommendations? [Re: ctcsoft]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Maybe it's a personal thing, but I always felt that swimming and alligators were mutually exclusive!

I'd start with Redrum's excellent suggestions. I'd add an airboat ride through the 'glades. For camping, check Kampgrounds Of America. They are usually well priced with good amenities. I'll bet that their Florida cabins have AC. You'll probably want to book cabins early though (and not all sites have cabins)

#209268 - 18/03/2004 04:40 Re: Florida Recommendations? [Re: genixia]
gui

Thanks for all the suggestions! Looks like there's more fun stuff than originally thought.

But, I managed to plead with both Hertz and Delta and they both refunded the unrefundable tickets we had! Our accomodation was a wedding present from a family friend, who after agreeing dates, booking flights etc etc decided that they didn't want to give us a present afterall - still not entirely sure why, but I guess it'll come out of the wood work one day.

We're now flying to Oaxaca in Mexico for two weeks before returned to New York for a few nights. - can't wait.

Have now got 7 days to learn enough Spanish to get by on - 'Scorchio!!!' isn't gonig to get me very far ;-)

This trip gives me the perfect excuse to buy a Canon 300D at the weekend.

Thanks again and have passed all your suggestions to the outlaws who are heading to Florida in a month or so if the retraction of accomodation doesn't hit them too.

Phil