Count me among those mildly disappointed that the titles disappeared,
but more than mildly disappointed that it happened by fiat.

Yes, it was annoying that those who had restrained and measured posting styles, dispensing their wisdom only when appropriate, could have lowly titles
in our little community; similarly, those whose mouths spewed fountains of crap due to their boredom and copious free time could achive more exalted standing in our strange little hierarchy.

Nonetheless, I liked the "pooh-bahs" and "oldhands" and, yes, even used them as a first order filter on credibility. But give me some credit, I could distinguish between those whose posting history consisted more of "look at this cool picture of my new gerbil" versus those whose prior post topics included "ioctl patch for FFT stereo separation enhancement modulation reboot issue."

Ironically, I was somewhat looking forward to the post which would bring me from the rank of "pathetic stranger" to "foolish newbie."

As this is that very post, and I am now allowed to choose my own title, you may now promote me
from the standing of "peasant serf" to that of "Supreme Galactic Overlord."

You may, however, address me as "Your Imperial Majesty" if it is more convenient.