In reply to:

I'm willing to bet that any thief seeing the empty dash slot, thinks it's worth a look to see if it's in the glove box, or under the seat: My car audio fitters told me that's why slide out stereo's have fallen from popularity.

Totally - I used to put my detachable faceplate underneath my seat, and put on a phony cover.. once I got lazy, and took off the plate, but didn't put on the cover - bang! Got my window smashed and stereo stolen for my momentary loss of common sense... Take a look at my install pics , creating a good phony cover is great security...

My old apt complex underground got massively burgled, most every vehicle got smashed into, even my gf's car with a crappy tape deck - but my old car survived without a scratch, cause the phony face plate I made was covering up my Alpine CD player! (This was pre-Rio, now I would absolutely die a thousand deaths if my baby got stolen)

I would recommend heading out to a local auto-wrecker, and getting your hands on a stock deck (AM Radio never looked so good!) that you can tear apart.. inquire about non-working units, you will likely walk away with a perfect dud unit great for hacking apart for $10....
60 Gig MkIIa #040103892 My Rio Install