Who uses Solaris as a desktop OS?
I'm looking at one right now.

The thing about Solaris x86 is that you can have an enterprise class OS running on almost-commodity hardware. As long as you find something that works, it works great -- better than it would under Linux, dare I say. And that's not really an issue for a company, as long as they can find a vendor with reasonable return policies, which, I think, is where Solaris x86 should be directed. Companies who want a supported Unix, but can't quite afford to spend 10 times as much for supported hardware. Plus, the Solaris Hardware Compatilbility Lists won't ever tell you that something works when it doesn't, really, which is more than I can say for my experience with Linux's similar lists.

Solaris x86 is now, I think, going to only be guaranteed to work on Sun's x86 hardware, although it should continue to work on other stuff. Part of the problem with Solaris x86 was Linux developers getting in a snit when Sun used their hardware drivers. I suppose they should have used BSD stuff instead, but I think that was before BSD was as big as it is now, and didn't have much more hardware support than Solaris did (or does).

Note that I'm not totally badmouthing Linux here -- I run it in several places. However, to me, it's the equivalent of the empeg fire sale. It let a lot more people have one, which is good, but it also let a lot more people have one that shouldn't.