Dell? Make decent computers? Right...

The way people keep saying that lately... makes me think I bought the last good Dell computer on earth. It's almost two years old now (a dinosaur! ), but it's plenty fast for me. It was pretty reliable when I got it, but I had plans for it anyway. I got rid of the factory installed OS and fetched all my drivers from the original manufacturers, and now I'm happy as a clam. It would be a hard thing for me to remember when it last crashed or gave me an error message of any consequence.

Of course, now it's running in a non-Dell case on a non-Dell power supply, so it's barely a Dell now. I plan to silence the thing and then start upgrading some hardware (sound, video, etc). My opinion is that 1GHz is plenty. Pretty much the only thing that would make me want a faster machine is if I started getting into encoding video for VCD or DVD, which is unlikely. Even if I do have a ReplayTV.

My sister's Dell, designed and ordered and maintained for her by me, also sees problems very rarely. But a friend of mine is planning on ordering a Dell very soon, so that may or may not change my opinion of them. We'll see what happens when the new one arrives, no?