First, I'd like to say that though the tone of my first post was a little heated, I'm not down on the Empeg guys. Sure, I'd really like to see the feature, and I may disagree about about the legal issues, but I'm just very disappointed that it's not there, I'm not angry. Empeg has done a great job and I think they're really cool guys who work hard making Cool Geek Toys for me. I could never have hard feelings about anyone who does that! It's espcially extra-cool that they spend time on this board and answer questions. So, Dedicated Toymakers, lest I had annoyed you, I do apologize. Chalk it up to overenthusiasm, unreasonable expectations, or whatever.

That being said, I still think the battle could be won. OK, I agree, Empeg is a pretty small company without large financial resources, so I accept the argument that they can't afford to risk being the test case.

From a "features" point of view, I understand that you make audio equipment and not storage devices, but it's not as if the feature would require any engineering changes or even many software changes. I'm not an expert in the field, but from my limited knowledge it seems that it woudl be pretty trivial to add the functionality.

So, I understand your position. I don't agree with it 100%, but for The Time Being at least, I can live without the feature. It sure would be nice to have, and I really hope to see it someday, but better an in-car MP3 player without file-transfer features than none at all.