Thank you, this is the exact kind of advice I'm looking for!

A few possibly naive questions, though...
Stick with one font through-out, two at most (bold doesn't count.)
I'm using Times New Roman for 99% of it, the only time I use another font (Arial) is for my name at the top. Or are you referring to the category headings (Objective, etc.) which are in the same Times New Roman, but are in "small caps" style? Is that a no-no? I thought it provided a more easy visual identification of the category headings. I am using some italics for certain things which may give the appearance of another font.. is that frowned upon as well?
Use no more than 3 font sizes or it gets distracting.
Except for the heading (name) I'm only using 12pt and 11pt Times New Roman, aside from the "small caps" thing mentioned above. I've heard the 3 font size thing.. Maybe it's just the use of underlining and italics that's making it more confusing, rather than font sizes?
Consider putting your contact information on one or two lines under your name. It looks cluttered where it is.
The reason I did it that way was really to save space... If I use up 4 lines for my contact info, I have to take something out of my experience... Is that a good sacrifice? Incidentally I had the left and right columns offset slightly below my name to make it less cluttered, but that didn't come out in the HTML export. I thought it looked okay at least in the Word doc... But I know what you're saying, I guess I didn't choose the most conventional way to do that... I'm open to other suggestions there..
Re-order your categories Objective, Experience, Education, Skills to emphasize your abilities which are what is ultimately going to sell you.
That's the order I had at one time, but my thinking was that most employers, no matter what they say, start off by looking for skills, and then look to see what you did with the skills. My education section used to be further down, but when I got my masters' degree, I thought it might be a good selling point to move towards the top. The thing about putting experience first is that those entries tend to be narrative type stuff that takes longer to read... Are they going to read one or two sentences and then get bored?

Or maybe I'm trying too hard to address the "short attention span" issue...
Good documentation on history, though consider changing to an active tense instead of passive. (ie: loose the "-ed's")
Can you give one example of how I might do this? You're not talking about passive voice, are you? You seem to be suggesting that I write my experience lines in present tense... How do I do that when this is stuff I've already done?
I don't care for the use of dates as leader items on the Experience list--they're just not that important to lead with. Perhaps try to fit them right justified on the company name line.
Well, since I've had instances where I've had different jobs (due to promotions) with a single company, I don't think I can put the dates on the company line... But right-justifying them on the job title line is probably a good idea. You're right, the date isn't as important as what I did.
I'm not sure if it is even necessary to offer references, as that is almost implied these days.
Good point. If I take that out, I might even have room for my address in the header now!

Thanks again for your advice.