MaximumPC is running an article on building a in car MP3 player based on a 1U rackmountable computer. There is a couple parts of it that I found rather interesting. He is planning on implementing smart playlists based off a database. The neat part of this is that he can create a U2 playlist which basically contains all files by the band U2. As he adds music to the player the ID3 tags will be indexed and added to the database. Next time
he selects the U2 playlist it will include any new songs by the band.

The other neat things was an automatic ranking system where the player would lower the ranking if you fast forwarded through a song, raise it if you played it twice or specifically selected it. It would then use this ranking to determine how often that song came up during random play.

I was curious if the Empeg has either of these features or if anything like this is planned? If I recal correctly Hugo had the ability to create a playlist based on year or artist on his original automotive MP3 player, but I don't think I have ever seen this mentioned in the specs for the production unit.

Just curious,
Mike