The ranking concept is interesting, but it would be the first feature I'd disable if it were on the Empeg.

As it stands right now, the Empeg repeats too many songs already because it doesn't de-dupe the flattened playlists before shuffling them. And Hugo said he didn't think it shuffled hard enough and was planning on implementing a more vigorous shuffling algorithm (any word on either of these, Hugo?).

Also, there are certain times that I skip songs because I'm not in the mood for them, even though I really like the songs. It depends on the style of song and my mood, more than my "vote" of how good I think the song is.

And since I'm a musician, I often repeat a song over and over again if I'm learning how to play it on the guitar. Sometimes I have to learn songs I don't like as much. So such songs might get an artificially high ranking.

So ranking songs in that way would just make the shuffling even less random, and might cause songs to get an invalid ranking. It's an idea that sounds good on paper, but would produce undesired effects in real life.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144