Thanks for all the responses in this thread, they were very helpful.

I decided to go with Monnéy (note the spelling, pronounced moh-NEH). I sent them an email on Sunday, Leo Monnéy (the owner) answered on Monday, said he is interested in doing the installation and left me his cell phone number. I visited the Redwood city store that evening and talked with him about equipment, installation options, etc.

I drove there again on Tuesday morning. Selected all the equipment (I bought amplifier, subwoofer and 4 coaxial speakers from them). Leo was willing to match the Crutchfield prices, his were generally higher. There wasn't that much of an overlap between his and Crutchfield's product line, though, so that only helped a bit. I did end up spending more money that I was planning to, Leo is a good salesman and I'm not much good at haggling.

I left the car for the day, Leo gave me a ride (30 miles) back to work. He called me again later in the day when they were done and drove me back to the store.

When I first tried the empeg in the car there was audible noise. They were able to fix it on the spot by adjusting the gains and crossover settings at the amplifier. There's still a little noise left but it's only audible if you put your ear to the speaker. Other than that, the installation was perfect. Really neat, no side effects.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the service I received. I guess it really helped that Leo took personal interest in the empeg and dealt with me from start to finish. He knows about the bad experience Calvin had in the Serramonte store and was trying to reestablish a good name.

Calvin's experience
David's experience
http://www.monney.com

Borislav