A couple of pointers which may or may not help but come from my experience.

What OS ? Windows 2000 ? I have not managed to do an upgrade with that myself. Though it does find the unit for me, it gets to the point of flashing the kernel (erasing it and all goes well) and then at most does 2 steps in the percentage bar before it freezes. Since I have several systems including a few Linux machines it is no biggie since I use those with no problems at all.

However what intrigued me more in your story was the digital cameras. A lot of these things install stuff (frequently with an icon in the system tray) which monitors your serial port and checks to see if there is a camera attached to them trying to send it data. The same is try for things like Sync Cradles for Palms and WinCE/PocketPC's. However, with that in mind you will obviously get a conflict over the serial port which might explain why it is not found.

Another thing that pops to mind is a report (I believe by Rob) stating that they had a batch of incorrectly wired serial cables which did not work. So some units had this incorrect cable or no cable at all when being shipped. I believe a replacement for that would be sent or made available. Maybe you have one of these. As always, the contact-emails for the empeg people posted by Rob on this BBS are the first place you should go if you think this is the case.

Cheers,
Hans

Mk2 - Blue - 080000431