Tony,

I agree with your logic 100%. The only reason I would even argue the other way would be to deflect attention from my own stupidity from stumbling into this. But, one last thing before I go:

Mark,

I hadn't been paying attention to the empeg world for a while, and didn't fully understand what the /empeg/fids links were all about when I started monkeying with them.
Only the player software and (j)Emplode should ever use /empeg/fids* symlinks.

If the way to avoid landing in the middle of the fid mangling logic is to stay out of those links entirely, is there any benefit to having Hijack just hide /empeg/fids0 and /empeg/fids1 from the shell or other programs to protect people like me from themselves?

And to anyone else entering this thread late who hasn't gotten the message from previous posts: Hijack did not do anything wrong. Hijack did not eat my files, nor did it hide them from me. Hijack did not steal my dog, put sugar in my gas tank, or take my girlfriend to the senior prom. I was working on something late at night, and should have thought it through better. I was really colossally stupid. I should be forced to wear a tall pointy hat and sit in the corner. The hat would say "Doesn't think the process through before doing things that could make everything disappear (but at least has backups)". The only thing that Hijack did was make me not see the results I was expecting (which would have been poor results anyway). Beyond that, Hijack has done wonderful things for my player, and is in fact, the greatest thing ever to happen to me. I've lost 22 pounds on Hijack, and my hair is thicker and fuller than ever. Hijack got my wife and me together, and will be the godfather of our first child.

There. I hope that's clear.

Edit: cleared it up a little more

Edited by adavidw (09/03/2004 20:53)