Hey you guys, thanks for all of the cool comments! I felt pretty silly making my post, but it was just the greatest thing I had ever done!

I would recommend this experience to anyone. You don't have to commit to an entire training program, and you can often get a special price on an introductory flight. I opted for a first lesson. I paid $215(US) for the "ship" and $40 for the instructor, plus about $25 in taxes and airport fees. That isn't cheap, but it was worth every penny! I got to fly for 95% of the hour and I got to spend about 20 minutes trying to hover, which was a blast (and really hard).

I can't stop thinking about it. I keep having dreams about flying the thing. All of that instability means that the machine is extremely responsive. Its like the ultimate 3 dimensional sports car. I've looked into the machine I flew, a Robinson R22, and it is 850 lbs (dry) and 190 hp. That is in the neighborhood of sportbike power to weight ratio. Not that its fast; it only goes about 100mph.

The thing that makes it fun is the same thing that makes it difficult -- the instability.

As far as "lifetime goals" are concerned (and this definitely was a lifetime goal for me!), under $300 is a pretty great deal. Why did it take me so long?!?!?!

Life is short!

Thanks again for all of the great comments.

Jim