I appreciate the arguments on both sides, but as (1) an ex-professional pilot and (2) a current software engineer, let me say this...

I would much prefer to fly a plane with my hands (or the hands of another competent pilot) than fly a plane by wire that I (or other programmers) programmed.

Also, in reference to my story above, if I hadn't been able to overboost the turbines I may not be here today. A computer likely wouldn't have let me do that. Yes, assuming there was a special-caase programmed in, then yes it would have, but a "keep it within the envelope" system wouldn't have.

Fly-by-wire systems are great for reducing pilot work load (and joysticks are just plain cool), but when the sh*t hits the proverbial fan, I want to control the plane.

Just food for thought. Of course, all of this ignores aircraft that NEED fly by wire systems, like the experimental dynamically unstable designs of new fighters. No to mention, different pilots will have different preferences (hence the never-ending discussion).