Ahhh, the 'ole "coputers are safer" argument...here's a short story from my corporate flying days...

On an ILS into Sacramento with my brother as co-pilot, I decided to let the autopilot fly the approach since the weather had gone below minimums AFTER we reached the outer marker. About 1/4 mile out the autopilot found itself a bit high and dove to find the glide slope. All I remember was the radar altimeter light and bell going off and punching the throttles and the autopilot shut-off (overboosting the turbines in the process) for an emergency missed approach. All you could see out all the windows was the fog flashing as we passed over the approach lighting system. As it turns out, I pulled things out at 50 feet above the gound. Significantly lower than the 200 foot minimum at the missed approach point.

In other words, had I let the "computer fly it", both my brother and myself would be dead.

And then there's this (Real Player required)...when the computer went into autoland mode and wouldn't let the pilot override...

Fly-by-wire is fine, but you DAMN well better have a hard-wired safety override. A good pilot's "feel" and knowledge of a plane is often WAY better than an engineers.