Quote:
I've seen noobdy putting their opinions out as an "obvious truth." In a debate like this, everything we say is, by definition, our own opinion. In many of these discussions, I've had my own understanding of the truth changed based on information and opinions others have put forth. Sometimes in subtle ways, sometimes in more fundamental ways. If I thought I already knew the real truth about everything, I wouldn't bother getting involved in any type of political discourse at all.

On re-reading my post I didn't quite come across the way I meant to. I actually had a much longer post that I edited down to try and avoid getting into any actual disagreement over my examples.

In the end, I don't think my tentative and weak support for Bush is really going to counter the outright hatred I see for Bush here. I truly don't believe he is deserving of the hatred you guys heap upon him- I see him as a man who's made some right choices and some wrong ones and at his level there are drastic consequences for both.

But since you seem to want my thoughts (and these are mostly just limited to Iraq):

I do believe we should have gone into Iraq.
I don't think Bush handled the situation well with regards to the rest of the world- I feel his administration was disrespectful.
I think Bush should have been more responsible with the information he used to support the war.
I think Bush should have been clearer with regards to his reasons for the war.
I don't think he should have used 9/11 as a justification for the war.
I do think that war has consequences and that as a strong nation it is our responsibility to pay those if it will ultimately lead to the freedom of others.

Having said all of this (more negatives than positives), in general I agree with Bush's motives and ideology, I just don't agree with many of the ways that he's approached those things. It's so difficult to tell the truth through all the spin, but I truly believe Bush is a good man who has made some mistakes. And those mistakes were not "getting people killed" as is so often asserted, those deaths were to free an oppressed people and prevent those who would destroy us from gaining the ability to do so. His mistakes, however, have had the drastic effect of making our country look bad and for causing our own citizens to distrust him.

And if we decide to discuss this further just know that I'm working at a site this week where I cannot post to the BBS.