build one for yourself...great idea. how about strapping a big lcd display to your dash. lets not forget the keypad hanging out to pick out songs by some 4 digit pin. of course if you dont use a keypad you can always strap a keyboard to your sun visor or keep a clumsy x 10 remote on hand to fumble around with winamp. don't forget the desktop case you have to stow in your trunk to run everything. whatever you do however, make sure you mount the hard drive vertically so it wont crash. oh, you will also need your inverter to power the whole thing. lets not forget about setting up the turning on and off of the unit. gotta remember to disable scandisk after bad shutdown or you will add another minute to the already long enough boot time.

or you could buy an empeg, slide it into the dash, and listen to your music.

i'm incredibly tired of people comparing the empeg to homegrown solutions. of course some are pretty nice, but you the time you invest the time and money into it to make it as useful and easy as the empeg, you could have just bought an empeg. ohh, but i can build an mp3 player that is hundreds of dollars cheaper than the empeg. never mind that it is no where as useful as the empeg.

please excuse my venting.
jeremy

12 gig, green...