Quote:
Designing, making and installing this daughterboard will be a huge amount of work.

Agreed. However, I recall purchasing a similar upgrade for my aging Acorn A3000 several years ago.

Quote:
You'll probably want to use a XScale as a CPU, you'll need RAM on the daughterboard as well since the existing RAM isn't going to be fast enough, the USB 2.0 controller will require another chip which can attach to the PCI bus and as you're doing all the other upgrades then you might as well put in a 10/100 ethernet PHY.

I don't know about the RAM - perhaps with the right choice of processor that wouldn't be neccesary. I agree about the USB chip and possibly about Ethernet.

Quote:
Oh and don't forget that since you're upgrading the display as well then you'll need to put a connector on the daughterboard for that.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with an upgraded display connected directly to the Empeg. I think multiple smartscreens connected via Bluetooth (as I outlined above) would have more mileage. Plus, the smartscreens would be fairly generic - I'm sure that other uses could be found for them.
Ex-owner of stolen empeg #030102741