Quote:
they give us a great product and let us use their services for $5 a month, regardless of how many you have in your household.

I bought lifetime service for $200 back when it was an option, so I don't pay monthly. However, I now wonder what that $5 per month goes toward. The guide updates were always done through the satellite, but now the software updates are coming off the bird as well. OK, maybe the $5 goes towards software updates... NOT! I think the SA Tivos are up to v5 or v6 now. The DirecTivo updates are basically bug fixes to v3. The directivo still phones tivo every week or so, but it's collecting viewing habbits which are almost certainly being sold.

Perhaps the $5 a month is used to subsidize the ability to sell a 40GB directivo for $79 at retail?

Can any HTPC-type time shifting programs support dual component or HDMI input? I lust for an HD DirecTivo, but I don't want to drop the dough until I see it has software at least as good as SA Tivos. Also the abilty to rip shows from it would be great. I highly doubt that would be available out of the box, but with Tivo2Go coming, something could probably be written to take advantage of that somehow.