Quote:
My point is that we all have moments of unobjectivity.

Of course we do. But we were not talking about moments, but lifetimes...

Quote:
Still, if we are to challenge others to think about things they don’t want to, we must be willing to do the same about things we don’t think are important.

Well, the guy's frustration was about thinking in general, I would say. I guess those ladies are similarily non-critical about their choice of laundry detergent. OTOH, perhaps they are experts on laundry detergents, and just need The Leader in important areas where they (probably wrongly) feel out of their depth.

But I will limit my attempts to make others think to things that affect me (except in extreme cases of those closest to me, but that again boils down to affecting me, this time emotionally). I think that is more sincere criterion than judging what is important to them. Besides, if I were not restricting myself to that and, for example, start to dwell on 'spiritual area', I would start attempting to make, say, you or my younger brother stop investing so much time emotional energy in what I see as figments of yout imagination. That would be just rude.

Quote:
Those in need must been seen both as a group and as individuals, and the best way to reach an individual is with a personal, non obligated touch.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear: of course I am thankful there are people helping those in need directly. What I was saying is that this is not enough. If you help ten people directly, and contribute to making another thousand need help, you are not very helpful, on the balance. I would think those ladling out soup and arranging collapsible beds in a school gym will be first to think "what to do to change this?"...

That said, on a brighter note, balance might sometimes tilt the other way: I saw another day a segment on CNN on a bunch of Southern Baptist guys (whose political inclination I could only guess, but the guess would probably be in the ballpark ) intervening quickly, efficiently and with no much fuss to provide some of tsunami survivors with safe water. I would postpone political discussion with them untill they are done with their work.

Quote:
And if you want to say that a person working a soup kitchen is insincere because he or she is working for the gratification of helping a fellow human in need, what is the motivation behind the critical thinking social programs if not to do exactly that?

Of course I am not saying that. If I was, it would mean I thought all altruistic deeds are done just for self-gratification. (Well, it can be argued they are, but, as you noted, it just changes the label we stick to the word 'good', so to speak, and applies to every 'do-gooder', thus becoming meaningless.)
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue