Quote:
I don't agree with your argument. To get Windoze working on that system would have taken an analogous step - locating a device driver for a product that was newer than the base OS.

But then, I was working with the latest Linux releases and the only one that recognised my SATA controller was Fedora Core 3. My copy of Windows is a few years old (and that was a freebie from a Microsoft visit) - you would normally expect to get a current version bundled with the machine or more likely pre-loaded.

Windows *is* much much easier to get into for most desktop users. Experimenting with various Linux distros on an AMD64 and an Intel 925 P4 box over the last couple of weeks has been a nightmare. Setting up my Hudson servers was easy, but on the desktop with up to date hardware it is a major pain in the arse.

I still aim to have a 99% Linux environment at my new office though - once Linux is working it's great. I'm *so* impressed with OpenOffice, having not played with it for a couple of years. I'm a heavy MS Office user but this is a totally acceptable alternative (even better in places). I figure I'll have saved about £10,000 by going with Linux, and even more in positive karma.

Rob