Thanks for all the help, but I'm now more confused than ever! After looking into this a bit more I've managed to conivince myself that a RAID system is the way to go, due to the redundancy. I really don't want to have to re-rip my collection again (espically the LPs). But the PC in question here is a Dell 8200 and I have no idea on how to add a RAID array to it. RAID 1 or 5 seem suitable. I'm know I'm way over my head here and should just get a 400 GB internal drive and be done with it...but...

I'm guessing that I'll need to add a RAID controlller card to the PC correct? Then its a matter of connecting the RAID array(external 4 bay tower?) to the card. Are the prices for these things anywhere close to reasonable? If the cost is prohibitive, I suppose I could just get the 400GB plus a DVD burner and back-up onto DVDs...

I just knew moving from nice and simple MP3s to FLAC was going to be a PITA, I just didn't know what a can of worms I was opening! Sorry for the stream of conscienceness post...