Quote:
Wow, you can change the color by changing the focus? Who knew?

I certainly didn't. But as soon as the tech showed it to me, showed me what I'd done, I could see it clear as day. The test pattern went from blue to cyan and back again as you twiddled. I don't recall whether the change was caused by the manual lens focus ring, or if it was the electrostatic focus adjuster that was doing it. But it was at least one or both of those things that caused the problem.

Quote:
take along a video calibration disc (I've got the "Video Essentials" DVD)

You heretic. Avia all the way.

Hey. Speaking of video calibration. One of the things that I'd always found difficult was getting decent test patterns up on the HDTV input. The DVD input was easy, of course, but getting an HD test pattern involved the computer. And the thing about the computer is that its scan rate and screen positioning are slightly different than my HDTV receiver, so I can't necessarily trust it.

But... Since you've got the HD DirecTivo you can do something. I discovered this myself and I'm very happy I did...

Every once in a while, HDNET runs a test pattern suite. Usually early in the morning. Do a title search for "HDNet Test Pattern". Save that puppydog in your HD-Tivo and you've got HD test patterns for life. They've got an overscan chart, a convergence grid, color bars, it's all there. Enjoy.