Quote:
Quote:
My main question is if a TV exists that is widescreen, but that forces 4:3 content to always be 4:3.

No, the problem they're solving is the opposite of that. They're not sending a 4:3 picture. The channel is a 16:9 channel, period, they're sending a 16:9 picture.

The reason I asked the above was to find out if a widescreen TV existed that didn't allow a consumer to stretch a 4:3 feed to 16:9. I am aware they are doing the opposite, and that is what annoys me. So in a counter point to them, I want to point out that if they would send 4:3 content as 4:3, consumers could then stretch it as they please. Including using stretching methods beyond the simple expansion to fill the frame that many modern units offer.

Quote:
You can take that 16:9 picture and make it narrow. But if they'd done it the other way 'round, then you couldn't take the 4:3-pic-on-the-16:9 channel and make it wider, because the channel is already a 16:9 channel.

I am not asking them to broadcast 4:3 content with pillar boxes to fill a 16:9 frame. I am asking for them to broadcast 4:3 content as 4:3.

Quote:
I don't know for sure, but if I understand this correctly, what you're seeing is your Fox station putting up black bars on the sides.
And those, of course, are the stations that cause burn-in for me, because I can't make the black bars disappear. And I'll bet you can't either. Try it and let me know.

I'll change the setting on my decoder and see what happens.

The main reason this irritates me is because the local CBS station is the only station out of the 3 local and many satelite stations that I have to touch my TV remote to change aspect ratio.