My main question is if a TV exists that is widescreen, but that forces 4:3 content to always be 4:3. Basicially the point I want to prove to the station is that by forcing 4:3 content to 16:9 on their end intentionally, they are removing control from the consumer watching their station. Where as if they would send the content properly, consumers who like to stretch content (either to fill the screen or to reduce burn in) could do so on their own using the standard controls of their TV.

Any more, I have noticed most modern sets offer several modes for dealing with 4:3. They can do a simple stretch, they can zoom in (and do so with a few methods), or offer a "panorama" mode that stretches the center less then the edges to avoid characters typicially in the middle from appearing bloated. Since the 4:3 content in being broadcast in 16:9, none of these modes can be selected.

Thankfully my unit does allow me to set 4:3 manually, thus returning the 4:3 content to a non stretched look. However, the second I tune to another local DTV station or to a voom channel, I have to undo this, as my Voom reciever picks up on the aspect ratio and puts in black bars on its own. if needed.

By what I can tell, the local FOX station broadcasts the proper aspect ratio and switches when the time comes. For example, during 24, I get a full 16:9 picture as intended. But when a commercial break comes on, I get the commercial in a pillar box format to ensure the 4:3 ratio is maintained.

On the other end of the spectrum, I see another problem with the station manually forcing content to be stretched. What happens on a 4:3 DTV set? Do they get letter box and pillar boxed due to the TV thinking it is a widescreen source?