Quote:
No reason it would have to be more complicated than that (like aux-in adapters for OEM stereo CD changers), especially if the "thing" on the other end of the cable talked exactly like an iPod.

This exactly is the most important step for me; my next car has a hard-to-replace factory radio, for which no AUX-in solution exists. See this thread . But, an iPod solution exists. It involves two adapters: one by Connects2 that translates the proprietary CD changer signals into Sony CD changer signals. The second adapter is the Dension ice>Link that wil translate the Sony CD changer signals to iPod signals.

The fact that no simple AUX-in adapter exists probably means that the radio uses some form of querying in order to determine a CD changer is present. So if we can accomplish that using iPod emulation on the Empeg, then my main goal is reached.

Next thing that would be nice is using the audio commands on the steering wheel. Interchanging song information is of later use for me, as the radio and the factory and Sony CD changer protocols don't support that.

Maybe later Alfa Romeo/Blaupunkt will come with a headunit that supports the iPod natively. At that time song information may become interesting.

Could all of this iPod emulation be done in userspace, or would part of it need to be implemented in Hijack? I suppose some of the software for the M-Bus project could be reused.

Pim