Quote:
Right, looking again at the wiring diagram for my amp it shows that the front preouts are on the far left - but these are the ones I have removed as they were driving the rear speakers!

So it looks like when my amp was installed the wiring was done incorrectly. So if I move the connections from the right hand connectors to the left ones, I should be good to go I think.

What's front and channels on an amp is typically not set in stone, but which signal (front/rear left/right) you plug in where on the amp. Though often you're constrained by what filter options are available for what channels on the amp and how you typically set up a system (front system HP filtered to reduce the stress from deep bass, rear channels LP filtered to run a sub ). The labelling on the amp should [hopefully] be consistent between input and related output, but you're of course free to ignore any 'front', 'rear', 'left', 'right' labels if it better suits your setup - cable runs, filtering etc...
Quote:

If you can excuse my poor MS Paint skills, the attachment shows roughly how it's all wired up.

Hmm, as I interpret that, you're running everything off the HU and the amp actually doesn't power anything at all... And you've got two speakers in parallell on each channel in the rear, possibly creating a too low impedance for the HU, but yhat's not the impression I got from the posts earlier in the thread...