I see what you mean, but I doubt the empeg/rio people will implement this kind of feature; They would be overwhelmed by bug-reports from people trying to get their remotes to work, a functionality they cannot support. I'm afraid everything involving non-empeg hardware is third-party material. Another option would be the software-plugin for the empeg software, which was supposed to be one of the future features of the empeg software announced some time ago.

yeah, I can see that too... perhaps I am just hoping for a software plugin type functionality you refer to. I think actually that might work better anyways. We could then have a web page with a remote section of known working remotes and the codes required to program them. But then again, we can do that now. The install process just needs to be cleaned up so non-programmers/non-linux people can select a remote, send a file, and everything work. Hmmmm....

I'm curious to the ratio of people running the developer image/consumer image. Considering how much can be modified with it, surely Empeg isn't going to support, or at least not at the same level, the developer image. At the same time, if a plugin scheme does come to fruition, is it going to be devel image only, or would there be a emplode function to download code modules to the consumer images?

The empeg can read all ir-frequencies ( I suppose ). the ir-device can be set up in raw mode, where it returns all raw ir-data. Every remote I tried gave some kind of output. They filter out specific codes for the kenwood/rio remote ( and apparently also pioneer ) and they are returned through /dev/ir with the right repeat-rate, etc...

I'm assuming (big mistake probably) that your intercept program does NOT put the unit into raw mode then, as I also tried a number of (household) remotes which returned nothing.