I think the sessionhistory change in Firefox worked for a couple of days. It's going slow and I'm pretty sure there's something else wrong besides some extra caching. Now it's back to taking up 1.8GB or so of real and virtual memory. With 2 tabs open. That smells like a serious memory leak to me.

Don't know, maybe the problem doesn't exist on the Windows version? Maybe Windows people shut down their machines all the time? I normally never shut my notebook down and don't quit Firefox for weeks on end.

I bit the bullet and am now using Camino. I'm really missing the Google Toolbar most of all. And I can't easily tab directly to the page contents from the address bar (tabbing must step through each of the Toolbar bookmarks before it gets to the page content). I had to install Camitools to get ad blocking (though it has only a faint glimmer of an interface for this), change the titlebar and toolbar to the Unified format as well as enabing a few other tweaks. Camino is definitely way behind Firefox in extras and even behind Safari in this respect.

I'm also not liking the fact there's no "Properties" item when context-clicking on page elements like images. All in due time though. I suspect these things and others may be added by the time Camino 2 comes out, sometime in 2010.

Bruno