I have an Empeg Installation dilemna on my hands and I'm hoping to get some advice. The vehicle is a 2001 BMW X5. The dash is VERY slanted back, such that no aftermarket head unit will look good in the dash without doing some very extensive custom building to inset units back. This would cost in the thousands for labor alone. I would really like to find a way to use the factory head unit with the Empeg, but there seem to be two issues:

1 - I'm not sure if the BMW head unit can support and AUX input device other than a cd changer. I'm pretty sure it can not. I suppose I can use the factory unit as the slave, and use the Empeg as the master (running factory through the Empeg as an AUX). one question I have is whether the AUX device will be converted A/D -D/A in the process of doing this and whether people notice any degradation in sound using it that way? I also do not know for sure that the interface between the BMW head unit and BMW amp is not proprietary, but I can always replace the factory amp anyway. Probably not a bad idea in any case.

2 - Where to mount the Empeg? Anybody know anything about these vehicles? There is no room in the dash. The only possible location MIGHT be where the ashtray is, but its angled down at 45 degrees (is that a problem?) and I don't even know if its deep enough to house it.

I'm starting to wonder whether the Empeg will even be able to go into my car at all. With installation labor estimating in the thousands, its not really worth it anymore. I'd rather just keep it in the house for an MP3 player. But it sure would be nice if I could figure out a way to use it with my stock factory head unit and mount the Empeg in there somehow...

???

-steve