Nope, unfortunately not. I wish that was the case. I got the NON-Nav version of the X5. There is no navigation system as in the photo you posted. In the photo you posted, the area where the arrow points has the stereo and climate controls all sitting in that location. If I had gotten the Navigation system, this may have been an option to mount one DIN unit, but then where would I put the head unit? You need two slots, one for head unit and one for Empeg. (at least until the Empeg tuner is out, then I could go without a head unit).

IN any case, I don't have the Nav option, so in my car that area where you pointed with the arrow only has climate controls. The stock stereo is actually comprised of two units that are up on the slanted part of the dash where the nav screen is in your picture. There is a radio tuner on the lower half and a CD player on the upper half with a little door that will close over the CD player. The door is so that when its closed, the wood grain has a consistent line that goes all the way across the dash (hopefully you can picture that).

It just occurred to me that it might be possible to somehow move the climate controls somewhere else, or perhaps try to find smaller aftermarket climate controsl (they include a display and its all wired into the car's computer so I sorta doubt this is a possibility).

The ashtray is at the very bottom of the dash, behind the stick shift. You can see the little door there. If you open the door, there is a long ashtray and lighter. The ashtray itself is probably long enough to match the width of a DIN sized unit. The thing is, I can't seem to find anyone that knows how far back the empty space goes? Will I be able to mount an Empeg there or not, I do not know...and I don't know whether it will be a problem to mount the Empeg at 45 degree angle or not.

Any other ideas?