Quote:
When I first turned on the hot new Lenovo X41 tablets I got for work, they ran NTFS-to-FAT conversion!! Then, gave me all WinXP mini setup (no complaint there) and all the disclaimers. When the CPU stop churning after probably 40 minutes, there were about 14 systray icons, some systray search app, and enough windows open that not one pixel of the taskbar was blank. And every boot thereafter takes at least 5 minutes.

I assume you mean FAT-to-NTFS, which is what mine did. Silly, but there you go.

Quote:
FDISKed with XPTablet, Office 2003, OneNote, etc, these things are lightning fast and my staff think they're a joy to use. Time spent doing clean software install (then making a Ghost backup image CD for when the computer owner gets spywared to death so you can quickly restore) are worth it 1000 fold.

What about all the bizzaro IBM drivers for things like the fingerprint reader, the motion sensor, and so forth? Did you kill off IBM's "Software Installer" for downloading their patches and whatnot? I'd love to know more about your configuration.

Another problem with my X41 Tablet is the whole going to sleep and waking up business. When I close it, it suspends, exactly as it should. Likewise, if I tell it to hibernate, everything works (although I had to install a Microsoft kernel patch because 1.5GB of RAM causes problems with hibernation). The part that doesn't work is shifting from suspend to hibernation. Instead, it stays suspended, but when you open the thing up, it takes several minutes for the "sleep" icon to go away and the zig-zag "on" icon to engage. Very frustrating. Have you seen this as well?

Also, what did you do with IBM's 5GB emergency restore partition? My IT guys concluded, after much gnashing, that they could get that partition back to me as a D: drive, but couldn't just merge everything together into a grand unified C: drive. Annoying, but tollerable.