Quote:
I think Dignan undertook something similar not so long ago. There was a thread with software recommendations, plug-ins and batch image processing tools. Maybe it wasn't him :S If it is, he'll chime in soon

That was me. You probably don't want to do what I did. Here was my philosophy:

a) doing the job right, so that the pictures are kept for posterity, takes so long I'd go insane long before finishing
b) 2) All your hard work probably won't be appreciated in the slightest. They'll still look at, and use the album and ignore the scans!

I used the "quick and dirty" method. I took the sheets out of the album, did not remove the photos, and just scanned them in one page as a time. I then split them up and cropped them. Lastly - and this part will especially make the photo nuts twinge - I installed Picasa on my parents' computer and ran all the images through that magic button filter (can't remember what it's called right now).

The point of this post is that for my mom, it was enough. She was thrilled with the results, and it turned into a very lovely Christmas present.

If I want to have the job done right, I just don't see myself doing it. I don't have the patience (or the time).

And I disagree, Tony. I don't see how it saves time to take out the pictures and scan them in individually. That's the only part of your argument that I don't think is true. Plus, have you every tried to put very old photos back into an old album sheet? For one thing, the glue is dried up and useless, so you have to get a new sheet. Also, the photos curl up so much it's hard to lie them flat and keep them down. Ugh, I did that for about four sheets and gave up and used my ugly method.