Quote:
It is kind of hard to see exactly what it offers over XP. When XP came out, I installed it on my machine at the office (I think it replaced ME, a true dog) but I can't see what I'm supposed to get out of Vista that XP doesn't provide.

You are echoing what almost every business and trade publication I've seen already says. They all say don't bother unless you're deploying new systems and would be buying new OS's anyway.

I personally like Vista, for a host of reasons, none of which are "I work for microsoft".

But since I don't get an employee discount on it (seriously, how f'd is that?), I am unlikely to upgrade to it on my home PC because it offers me no benefit over XP as of yet.

The biggest benefit I could see for home users is the improved security with the Limited User Access feature. But since I am already capable of preventing malware from running on my home PC in the first place, this feature offers me *personally* no benefit.

There are many improved things about its user interface I like a lot. Its improved Start menu is the first new version of the Start menu that I like better than the classic one from Win95. I've now gotten very used to pressing Ctrl-Esc and typing the name of the program I'm looking for. I now miss this feature on my home PC.

Most of the other improvements to the user interface are finally putting Vista back up closer to OSX, which is a happy thing (if not particularly impressive, considering how long OSX has been around).