Bitt, I'm curious as to why you assumed I'd go with a Dell. I would build my own PC. A quick shopping for parts on Newegg to match that Apple shows a result of about $1930.

Please understand, I'm not trying to put down Apple computer products. I'm just saying why I'm not going to use them. There are barriers to my entry into the Mac world that can't be broken down at this point. I'd rather spend my time and money elsewhere. I'm not making an argument for why nobody on the planet should buy Apple. Just myself.

Other thoughts:

- Just so you know, I seriously considered trying a Mac out. I was completely prepared to jump on that Mac Mini test drive thing they had a while back, and the day I went to order one, they killed the promotion.

- I wanted to point out that Apple's 30" monitor is almost half again the price of Dell's ($1800 v $1300).

- much like Macs, I've always avoided iPods. Yes, it's partly the whole smugness thing, but there is a good deal about the iPod that I don't like, so that's hardly the main reason.