Quote:
Being able to check traffic density before you head out is really useful. Every first world country should have it.

Cameras do a pretty poor job of monitoring overall traffic. They can help focus in on what might be causing it (unreported accident, mass of animals in the highway, whatever), but the traffic systems I have seen here in the US all use road sensors to monitor the speed and number of vehicles passing over them. In LA, they are pretty visible circular cutouts in the pavement where the sensors were placed, always two right in a row, and here in Austin similar square markings reveal where they have been added. It also makes it much easier to get traffic info at a glance, as I can look at a colored highway map of the entire city in a few seconds. The cameras on the major highway in Colorado Springs were pretty worthless, since you had to look at tons of images, and still not have a good picture of your entire commute.

From what I understand, the use of CCTV was started by the Brittish government in the 70s, due to the IRA attacks of the time. And while the system didn't stop the 7/7/05 bombings, it did help to find those that attempted the 21/7/05 bombings. I do have to question why so much surveillance is needed though. One of the many differences between US and UK culture I suppose.